Branding Clinic

Help Support CattleToday:

I make my own brands I just get copper bar 10mm x 40mm I think and cut out on band saw the straight bits or roll the curves on a simple metal bar roller. I then braze the bits together just with a propane torch using using 40% silver rod, I put on my brand, the year letter and their number. I have a full set of numbers now but have to make a new letter every year. That copper bar is not cheap though.

My brand is 4KlazyH which is a bit of a number plate and a bit difficult to hold on even I am thinking of changing to a symbol brand in the form of a C with an L inside it for my stud prefix "Lode Ck". I think it would be a lot easier to apply evenly.

Last year I used both dry ice and liquid N and the dry ice did the best job hands down.

Ken

In both Oregon and Washington you can get a copy of the brand book that lists all the registered brands. Oregon has it on line. Washington you pay for a printed copy. Looking at it lets you see what is already taken and gives you a better chance of getting the brand you request as your number 1 choice.
My brand in Washington is a N on the right hip. That brand is already taken in Oregon. So if I end up buying a place in Oregon I will have to the left side or I have thought about flipping it upside down. An upside down N is still an N but upside down the bar would be above the N instead of below it.

Latest posts