Brahmousin question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I know the Brahmousin breed is not the most common, but years ago I had a Brahmousin bull. Got some really exception calves out of him, especially females. Is anybody aware of a homozygous black Brahmousin? Is this even something that has been pursued?

Red Bull Breeder":3mekcb93 said:
There is still a few around Bigfoot but I don't about the black.

It would be great if it was out there. I believe I would prefer it to brangus.

Bigfoot":3q8q6o1w said:
I know the Brahmousin breed is not the most common, but years ago I had a Brahmousin bull. Got some really exception calves out of him, especially females. Is anybody aware of a homozygous black Brahmousin? Is this even something that has been pursued?
Don't even know of any red ones anymore..

That is a breed, that should have caught on, but it didn't. The few I find online, don't look like the ones I remember from back in the day. They brought a lot to the party, as far as growth, and milking.

Yes that breed should have caught on better than it did. They were an offshoot of the Limousin assn at first, but NALF never really promoted them and didn't include their data in the "real" herdbook data. They broke off to do their own thing but didn't have enough members and registrations to put enough of a war chest together for serious promotion. Check out brahmousin.org and see if there are any breeders in your neck of the woods.

Bigfoot":3ml8rens said:
That is a breed, that should have caught on, but it didn't. The few I find online, don't look like the ones I remember from back in the day. They brought a lot to the party, as far as growth, and milking.
Like a lot of things timing,...'here'. There was already plenty of ear in the cows...plus beefmaster was becoming popular to at that time..but like a lot of areas you take a laxative it works the whole community ...

Checked out their site. Very few members, and cattle listed for sale haven't been updated since 2012. No mention of black anywhere. It'd be a nice cross sure nuff. Milk from the Brahman, growth from the limi. I'm surprised a black concoction like that hasn't been cooked up.

MO_cows":1d1dpq8x said:
Check out this link:
http://bravadocattle.com/index.html

Some of the Brahmousin breeders have evolved into this Bravado brand name for the cattle with a little different guidelines.

I wonder what the Brahman percentage is in those cattle? It doesn't look like it would be much more than a quarter. They also state that Bravado cattle are primarily Limousine and Brahman. Doesn't state what else is in there.

townfarmer":2fop11j5 said:
MO_cows":2fop11j5 said:
Check out this link:
http://bravadocattle.com/index.html

Some of the Brahmousin breeders have evolved into this Bravado brand name for the cattle with a little different guidelines.

I wonder what the Brahman percentage is in those cattle? It doesn't look like it would be much more than a quarter. They also state that Bravado cattle are primarily Limousine and Brahman. Doesn't state what else is in there.

They also stated that they had fullblood Bravado semen. How could you have a fullblood when you have crossed two breeds???????

Bigfoot":2l9pnrps said:
Not sure what part of KY you're in BF. I'm in the bluegrass and I hardly ever see any Brahma influenced cattle around here. I'm told it's because our climate doesn't necessitate the need for the hardiness of Brahma. I'm curious what your reasoning is to go to a Brahma cross?

i like an eared cow, not necessarily an eared bull. I stay at 3/8 on my cows, and breed them to a charlois, black sim, or lim-flex. I like they way they milk, mother, and I especially like my weaning weights.

People that think Ky doesn't have the heat for eared cattle, have never had any. Sure our winter is to harsh for a full blood, but our summers are fine for 3/8. Infact, in the summer my cattle will divide themselves in to two herds. One group lays in the shade, and stands in the pond. One group heads on out to graze.

My calves on those cows, show very little Brahman influence. They are usually in a graded pen at the sale with their counterparts.

I'm trying to flip my herd to 100% Brahman influence. I'm having to buy replacement heifers to do it. I might need to cover my "non eared" cows with Brahman influence bull to ever get there.

Interesting. Do they winter well in KY? I saw that EKU farm has added a couple Brangus-looking bulls to their herd.

Lazy M":2fpgo131 said:
Interesting. Do they winter well in KY? I saw that EKU farm has added a couple Brangus-looking bulls to their herd.

Yes, 3/8 winter fine. I'm also convinced they eat less hay. They will get out and browse on a sun shiney day, and leave their counterparts at the hay ring.

I keep all my calves to 750-775 before I sell them. The calves off of brahma influence cows are just almost there when I wean them.

I'm keeping several heifers this year. About 10 of them I raised. I like a big cow, but I think I'm going to sell these as bred heifers next fall. They look like they are going to be big for practical purposes. So in other words, it's a real terminal cross.

Bigfoot":1ou7j6f8 said:
Lazy M":1ou7j6f8 said:

Yes, 3/8 winter fine. I'm also convinced they eat less hay. They will get out and browse on a sun shiney day, and leave their counterparts at the hay ring. ..... . Not arguing.. Never seen that..I started out with registered Brahman in the 80"s crossbreeding with herfs and Simms..never had them venture from hay,other to rest are water. Now they will be out there grazing in the heat..when the others are in the shade or pond.. Even now with the winters here you see some stand and shiver

Latest posts