Brahman/Angus F1 cross

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
This year I bred 9 of my Angus cows to our registered Brahman bull. I ended up with 4 female calves and I'm considering keeping all of them. We have kept a few of his female offspring in the past. They seem to make really good cows. Any thoughts on this cross? Below is a picture of a 4 yr old brahman/Angus cow we have with her latest calf.

This is our Brahman bull, Romeo. (My mom named him.) He's been a lot of fun. Like having a 2300 lb dog.

That calf is only about 4 days old. She's out of a registered Hereford bull that we had. He was getting a little old so we sold him and replaced him with a 2 yr old Angus bull late this spring.

AZAggie":2gm3ltop said:
That calf is only about 4 days old. She's out of a registered Hereford bull that we had. He was getting a little old so we sold him and replaced him with a 2 yr old Angus bull late this spring.

Ya, I was just about to say a lot of the F1 calves look like that... all leg... They grow in to those legs.

Nice looking cattle. They should make some good replacement heifers for you. I'd say Romeo is a family favorite. I'm not crazy about being around horns, but like the looks of his.

ALACOWMAN":3vsk2e5h said:
The cow is a F1,the calf is a 3 way cross and should be showing a little more bone from a herf bull....

Because ALL Herefords are big boned and ALL Brahman cows are fine boned? :lol: I would like to see that Hereford before we jump to conclusions.

Being that the mom is not that fine boned and she is carrying the Brahman influence I find your theory hard to swallow.

Brute 23":2q4nvrw9 said:
ALACOWMAN":2q4nvrw9 said:
The cow is a F1,the calf is a 3 way cross and should be showing a little more bone from a herf bull....

Because ALL Herefords are big boned and ALL Brahman cows are fine boned? :lol: I would like to see that Hereford before we jump to conclusions.

Being that the mom is not that fine boned and she is carrying the Brahman influence I find your theory hard to swallow.
I don't doubt .wasn't starting a fight and it's not a theory ... If he's looking to keep them won't effect me , I don't care....

AZAggie":1j0cle41 said:
This year I bred 9 of my Angus cows to our registered Brahman bull. I ended up with 4 female calves
and I'm considering keeping all of them.
What were the birth weights?
Was there much difference in weights between the heifer and bull calves?

Not sure on birth weights. My operation isn't that sophisticated yet. Didn't seem to be much difference in sizes at birth, with one exception. We had one gigantic female. Was the only calf I had to pull this year. She was a monster. I had to use my pickup to help pull her out. Then momma jumped up and took off. Ended up having to bottle feed her, and she's still huge.

A.J.":1fiu7oha said:
Nice looking cattle. They should make some good replacement heifers for you. I'd say Romeo is a family favorite. I'm not crazy about being around horns, but like the looks of his.
He's a mess. I've had a lot of fun with him. He'll just about stop anything he's doing if I have a brush in my hand.

Brute 23":3bt7azv5 said:
ALACOWMAN":3bt7azv5 said:

The Hereford was a big boy as well. Can't post a picture of him for some reason. He was in the 2000 lb neighborhood.

AZAggie":1vcl1ag6 said:
Brute 23":1vcl1ag6 said:
ALACOWMAN":1vcl1ag6 said:

The Hereford was a big boy as well. Can't post a picture of him for some reason. He was in the 2000 lb neighborhood.

Photos of the Angus/Brahman calves from earlier this spring. They were pretty young here.

Thanks for sharing your photos and info. Only one big calf from a Gyr horned Brahman is very good.

You hold onto those four heifers and you won't regret it. If you do sell em with a calf in 2 years when prices are better.

I've never had any of this cross but I have heard really good things about them. I imagine they would preform very well in the south being half brahman and all

Jdwest":1hwenhhz said:
I've never had any of this cross but I have heard really good things about them. I imagine they would preform very well in the south being half brahman and all

To hear the brimmer pimps tell it, they wouldn't even break a sweat while manning the gates of h*ll for an 8 hour shift

Ol' 243":1v47nmy4 said:
Jdwest":1v47nmy4 said:

To hear the brimmer pimps tell it, they wouldn't even break a sweat while manning the gates of h*ll for an 8 hour shift

The recipe to start making a Brangus