Brahma question

Help Support CattleToday:

bishopcattleco":31y7ywc0 said:
ok alacattlemen i bet u had alot of fun with the sim x brah f-1s .did u ever have a black and white simmental on those cows.i like the reds. but i like the blacks even better. on the longhorn thing when i started putting cattle together i started out with nothing. i bought 10 longhorn cows 450 bucks a piece.they where in the 3rd period.they had there first calves. some where spotted some where solid color.i also bought some other brahman or brahman cross cows 20 head in all.all bred not knowing exactly what kinda calves they would have.they had there first calves .they averaged 500 dollars each.keep in mind this was 10 years ago.20 cows i think 18 cows had a succesful calve come selling time 1 calf died at birth 1 cow had no milk.remember this is salebarn stuff.next year i used a char bull .my calves did even better. all calves where solid yellow a few yellow skunks.they where not the highest thing that sold that day. but they where up there with the so called good black cattle.ok if i was to take a 10 thousand dollar loan and buy 5-6 year old black cows in the 3rd period at that time where going for 900 to 1000 how many years would it take me to pay those cows off.i still have some of the longhorn cows left they have calves that weigh 600 to 700 pounds every year that look better than what other people call good cattle.i dont even creep feed these calves.i would not be where i am today without longhorns or brahmans.

You can buy longhorn pair around here for $300-350 tops.....any longhorn that weighs over 600 lbs. is considered a cow or a bull. Just no market for them except a good demand by the ropers.

Lot of commercial cattle people on here. Commercial cattle people sometimes like to poke sticks at the purebred cattle raisers (and vise/versa I suppose). They forget that someone maintaining the integrity of the purebred animal directly affects the commercial cattlemans ability to optimize the performance of the commercial cattle. PB breeders play a very important role in the commercial cattlemans operation.

Also, I have heard that there are few things better than Brahma hump with bbq sauce. According to the BSer's, its a hit in many areas of South America, I just forget where right now. ;-)

angie":21r07gkt said:
Lot of commercial cattle people on here. Commercial cattle people sometimes like to poke sticks at the purebred cattle raisers (and vise/versa I suppose). They forget that someone maintaining the integrity of the purebred animal directly affects the commercial cattlemans ability to optimize the performance of the commercial cattle. PB breeders play a very important role in the commercial cattlemans operation.

Also, I have heard that there are few things better than Brahma hump with bbq sauce. According to the BSer's, its a hit in many areas of South America, I just forget where right now. ;-)

Commercial cattlemen are the ones industy follows not the other way around as they are the people feeding us.

Caustic Burno":2r1vbtiu said:
Commercial cattlemen are the ones industy follows not the other way around as they are the people feeding us.
I agree with what you are saying here. I don't believe what I said contradicts that in any way.

bishopcattleco":1as42tem said:
ok alacattlemen i bet u had alot of fun with the sim x brah f-1s .did u ever have a black and white simmental on those cows.i like the reds. but i like the blacks even better. on the longhorn thing when i started putting cattle together i started out with nothing. i bought 10 longhorn cows 450 bucks a piece.they where in the 3rd period.they had there first calves. some where spotted some where solid color.i also bought some other brahman or brahman cross cows 20 head in all.all bred not knowing exactly what kinda calves they would have.they had there first calves .they averaged 500 dollars each.keep in mind this was 10 years ago.20 cows i think 18 cows had a succesful calve come selling time 1 calf died at birth 1 cow had no milk.remember this is salebarn stuff.next year i used a char bull .my calves did even better. all calves where solid yellow a few yellow skunks.they where not the highest thing that sold that day. but they where up there with the so called good black cattle.ok if i was to take a 10 thousand dollar loan and buy 5-6 year old black cows in the 3rd period at that time where going for 900 to 1000 how many years would it take me to pay those cows off.i still have some of the longhorn cows left they have calves that weigh 600 to 700 pounds every year that look better than what other people call good cattle.i dont even creep feed these calves.i would not be where i am today without longhorns or brahmans.
i used red simmental at first, then later i used homozygous black bull on the F1's but while i was using the reds to produce the F1 simbrah i bred my F1 brafords too them to,, dear lord what a calf they raised

We have to remember that what is important is profit. It is possible to be docked in price/lb but more than make it up in weight and/or lower costs.

Douglas":1ag0g0uv said:
We have to remember that what is important is profit. It is possible to be docked in price/lb but more than make it up in weight and/or lower costs.
the right crossbred cow :arrow: FOR YOUR AREA :wave: MINE NOT BEING SOUTH TEXAS, SO please posters bare that in mind,,, :p can put weight on a calf and not take the dock,, whew there i got it off my chest :cowboy:

BIZIN":f3wfmkl7 said:
So can you Brahma breeders tell me what it is that brahma's offer exactly?

Why is it everyone without Brahman influence always jumps in to a thread that starts off this way?

Do you ever get the feeling that we have way too many cooks in the kitchen?

backhoeboogie":2r9cf9g3 said:
BIZIN":2r9cf9g3 said:

Why is it everyone without Brahman influence always jumps in to a thread that starts off this way?

Do you ever get the feeling that we have way too many cooks in the kitchen?

Now thats funny.
Thats kinda like my Black Baldie Momma's I learned a few years ago are Black Herefords so I guess that make my Brangus/Hereford crosses Super Black Herefords. I am not real sure what catchy name to tag my Brafords with.

Then I won't have any Brimmers

backhoeboogie":fl6as5vm said:
BIZIN":fl6as5vm said:

Why is it everyone without Brahman influence always jumps in to a thread that starts off this way? Do you ever get the feeling that we have way too many cooks in the kitchen?
he said since no one wanted them on the canadgion border he wanted to know what they had to offer,, come on its a simple question
:cowboy:

alacattleman":1274yg6y said:
backhoeboogie":1274yg6y said:
BIZIN":1274yg6y said:

Why is it everyone without Brahman influence always jumps in to a thread that starts off this way? Do you ever get the feeling that we have way too many cooks in the kitchen?
he said since no one wanted them on the canadgion border he wanted to know what they had to offer,, come on its a simple question
:cowboy:

You have experience with them. There is a difference. Even if you don't currently own any heavy influence, you know.

Latest posts