Brahma question

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
So can you Brahma breeders tell me what it is that brahma's offer exactly? Just curious is all. If you send a brahma or a longhorn to any of our feedlot customers, whether its in the northern US or Canada, they will tell you to take em back and put em where the sun dont shine. So I am just curious as to what they offer as a cow and is there a market for them in the Southern states?

BIZIN":3revjxbi said:
So can you Brahma breeders tell me what it is that brahma's offer exactly? Just curious is all. If you send a brahma or a longhorn to any of our feedlot customers, whether its in the northern US or Canada, they will tell you to take em back and put em where the sun dont shine. So I am just curious as to what they offer as a cow and is there a market for them in the Southern states?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beefmaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman_cattle

This post was probly started to get a debate going so I'm not getting to involved in it ,but there has been enough on here in the last few days to answer your question go read the post "WHAT IS TIGER STRIPES"

BIZIN":3qo4ah3k said:
So can you Brahma breeders tell me what it is that brahma's offer exactly? Just curious is all. If you send a brahma or a longhorn to any of our feedlot customers, whether its in the northern US or Canada, they will tell you to take em back and put em>> where the sun dont shine<<. So I am just curious as to what they offer as a cow and is there a market for them in the Southern states?
i thought thats where they would be if they took em your direction, any idiot that took em that far north too a feed lot, deserves what they get.

alacattleman... so they sell pretty good in the southern states? Not trying to start any debate, just wanted peoples opinions on what they provide

not in my area of the south , north alabama 1/4 brahman influence do good but any thing much more in the calf will get you docked,

I've fed out rodeo cattle that didn't buck they fed out alright-I'm only 900 miles north of Billings, Montana though lol.We still have a few Brahma X cows they winter better than some of the new improved Angus do-I imagine it's hybrid vigour kicking in.

I have stated before that you don't need eared cattle this far north in Alabama (I am NE of Bham). I have gotten docked 10 cents++ a lb on Gert sired calves that were only 18.75% eared before. That said, if you ARE in a more southerly climate or you ARE making money and achieving high levels of production (~95%++ conception per cow exposed and 600 lb 205 day wts) with the cow herd that you have, whether that is 0% Brahman, 12.5%, 18.75%, 25%, 37.5%, 50%, 62.5%, 75%, or 100% (and there are some big grey full bloods running with a Hereford bull 32 miles N of me now) I would not ditch what I was doing and a cow herd that was making money just because some goofy feedlot owner 1500 miles away was whining about his weather or his quality grade. I think we in the cow calf sector worry too much about pleasing the other sectors. With a rapidly declining national cow herd and more of what is killed going to the grass fed segment (predicted to be 15% of the total by 2016) the feedlots are going to have to feed whatever we produce or they are inevitably going out of business.

Brandonm22":2god1ys6 said:
I have stated before that you don't need eared cattle this far north in Alabama (I am NE of Bham). I have gotten docked 10 cents++ a lb on Gert sired calves that were only 18.75% eared before. That said, if you ARE in a more southerly climate or you ARE making money and achieving high levels of production (~95%++ conception per cow exposed and 600 lb 205 day wts) with the cow herd that you have, whether that is 0% Brahman, 12.5%, 18.75%, 25%, 37.5%, 50%, 62.5%, 75%, or 100% (and there are some big grey full bloods running with a Hereford bull 32 miles N of me now) I would not ditch what I was doing and a cow herd that was making money just because some goofy feedlot owner 1500 miles away was whining about his weather or his quality grade. I think we in the cow calf sector worry too much about pleasing the other sectors. With a rapidly declining national cow herd and more of what is killed going to the grass fed segment (predicted to be 15% of the total by 2016) the feedlots are going to have to feed whatever we produce or they are inevitably going out of business.
is that around blount co. i use too see a gray herd going too birmingham that were running with a angus

They do get docked but that's outweighed by the fact that their mothers are much easier to keep in good condition and they grow faster than black hairy calves in hot environments. It's MUCH easier to keep those eared mothers in good condition in the heat. It's sort of a Kit Pharro philosophy with cattle you can actually stand to look at.

Think of it as the difference between a 500lb calf with a low input mother for $80/cwt or a 400lb calf with a higher input mother for $90/cwt.

BIZIN":35n4lmfb said:
Putting them where the sun don't shine would be up north. They belong where the sun shines a lot.

BIZIN":pudm8fn6 said:
Putting them where the sun don't shine would be up north. They belong where the sun shines a lot.

alacattleman":1l8e9ojd said:
is that around blount co. i use too see a gray herd going too birmingham that were running with a angus

No, headed that way, but still in St Clair County.
Have you seen that ~new herd of bison off of I-65 in Cullman?

Brandonm22":2uds7hwq said:
alacattleman":2uds7hwq said:

No, headed that way, but still in St Clair County.
Have you seen that ~new herd of bison off of I-65 in Cullman?
aint been down 65 in a couple years,,, must be a money man that likes pasture ornaments

i bet alacattlemen had everything he has spoon fed to him .he must be workin for the angus association always pouting about brahman cattle.

bishopcattleco":25mdwl1t said:
i bet alacattlemen had everything he has spoon fed to him .he must be workin for the angus association always pouting about Brahman cattle.

and WHY would you say that?? Ala said the Brahmans don't do that well where he's located...
he never said anything AGAINST Brahman!

you're kinda new to be making snap judgments about folks on here :?

There's an invisible line of sorts where if you go NORTH of that line, the Brahmans are not
liked in the sale barns or the feed lots, mostly because they are more suited to a hotter climate.
and other areas where "anything with ear" shows it's Brahman influence and they are the hot ticket.

It's not a breed preference, it's an area preference. And any cattleman worth his salt knows what will sell and do well in HIS/HER particular area.

Where I'm located, you won't see a Brahman unless one is passing through with the rodeo!

bishopcattleco":1s81c9ns said:
i bet alacattlemen had everything he has spoon fed to him .he must be workin for the angus association always pouting about brahman cattle.
I think you might want to lable this as your first screw-up on the boards. :nod:

novatech":1jxwodx1 said:
bishopcattleco":1jxwodx1 said:
I think you might want to lable this as your first screw-up on the boards. :nod:
probably wont be his last, though..you can bet every thing i got came the hard way and by the """grace of GOD """
:cowboy:

Latest posts