Bragging

Help Support CattleToday:

It wasnt judged by a breeder that shows, was it? Ive never seen people judging that show animals too. Maybe they are big breeders, but the only breeders that I know are the ones that show. Ill learn all this stuff in time, like I said, only been showing a year and a half, still have a lot to learn.

is that the one you sent me pics of a while back? i remember liking #2...

Responding to the original post, congratulations cherokeeruby!!

In response to the question of "big" breeders judging State events, that's pretty much all that I have ever seen at both the Junior and Open shows. Even the "big name" university profs are usually also big breeders. Now, what I have not seen, is a big breeder judging his own breed. That would be stretching the question of ethical practices a bit too far.

Whoever mentioned Jim Williams, V8 Ranch. He is hands down the best Junior Show judge I have ever seen. And, if you ever want a first class showmanship judging, Jim and his daughter, working as a team, are fantastic.

AAOK":1nsbf1vu said:
Now, what I have not seen, is a big breeder judging his own breed. That would be stretching the question of ethical practices a bit too far.
Monte Soules and Todd Herman did it a few years ago in Denver. They buried a Star Lake heifer, just to prove they could.

I had no stake in it but I don't think they should judge their own breed. Another breed is fine, but not the one they raise. JMO

Congratulations Ruby. It is very pleasing to win at a show when its not really expected. Its very dissapointing to lose as well when you really have a quality animal. I have never been worried if I get beaten by a quality animal but boy it annoys me when an inferior animal comes to the top.
Brahman judging here in Australia is fairly political as I would say it is in the US.
Often the brand on the animal is judged or the parader.
Our Brahman week sales are coming up early next week over 3 days in Rockhampton,1,000 bulls on offer. Lots of US bloodlines and the first South African blood cattle.
Lots of JDH,HK,JJ,V8,VL,BB,. And the first Stingray son that I have seen here in Australia. Mr Fontenot 125 sired the nice red heifer that gained the Grand Championship at the recent Royal Queensland Show in Brisbane.
I am very impressed with the first offering of a bull by Derek Whitfield Mr Louis (SA import) a good strong red embryo bred bull.
Grey enthusiasts have a magnificent linup to choose from at the Spirit of Australia Sale hosted by the Fenech family. They have purchased some lovely grey cattle from the US. It would be difficult to find any Australian bloodlines in their cattle now.
The offering has cattle by the impressive dark grey JDH Palestimo R Manso, JDH Mr Woodman Manso,JDH Marri R Manso,JDH Madison De Manso,JDH Mr Shannon Manso,JDH Westin Manso,JK Mr Sugar crata,JJ Wise Didor,Mr V8 730/5.
This family has sold females to $48,000 over the past year with many from $20,000 to $42,000. This sale is their inaugural one so there will be some big money paid by the looks of the catalogue and photographs.
Sorry for raving on but I love my Brahmans and South Devons and Herefords.
Colin

I totally disagree - at least for our area from NY to Ky & East. Judges generally DO judge their own breed. I know at the big shows out here (including NAILE Louisville, Ky), Angus exhibitors won't hardly show under anything but an Angus judge, if it is a show that EACH breed has its own judge - which is VERY RARE. Most of our shows, the judge will judge several breeds, but one of them is always "his breed".

At our NY State fair, each year they rotate what breed chooses the judge, we usually pick an Angus judge, just because we don't want politics. Works good - also the Angus don't show same time as us.

Latest posts