Bragging

Help Support CattleToday:

cherokeeruby

Reaction score
A fellow in Oklahoma has two of my bull calves for his daughters to show. They are both about 5 months old. One of them just won Reserve Calf Champ at Oklahoma City.

:D

Wow. Congratulations Ruby. Do you know who judged it?

When will thay have the pictures online Ruby? Like to see this little critter dolled up for the show.
Congrats.

He said he would send me some photos soon. Hope he does, the calf in my avatar is the bull calf.

Congrats on the victory. Why would a big breeder be the judge at bigger shows? May just be me, but it doesnt make sense to have the breeders that do the show circuits as judges.

cherokeeruby'":117fznth said:
ollie' I just got the answer to your question. Steamer Swaner was the judge.
Thanks Ruby. Congratulations again.

Ruby - congratulations. Nothing better than selling cattle and have them place well or perform well on the farm for the buyers.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":3mltga0x said:
Congrats on the victory. Why would a big breeder be the judge at bigger shows? May just be me, but it doesnt make sense to have the breeders that do the show circuits as judges.

I guess I don't understand your comment. Most judges ARE big breeders - and most of them are very involved in showing cattle themselves - why else would they be qualified to judge. MANY extension/university judges "suck" - not all - just a lot of them.

cherokeeruby'":36z7s6os said:

Must have been a big ol calf for Steamer to pick it. He likes em big. I've seen him judge some shows and it seems like he just puts them in line from biggest to smallest. Anyone in the Brahman breed knows that some breeders need to check their pastures a little more often so if your calf won, and I assume had the correct birth date, then congrats.

txshowmom":3ht51d7z said:
cherokeeruby'":3ht51d7z said:

Must have been a big ol calf for Steamer to pick it. He likes em big. I've seen him judge some shows and it seems like he just puts them in line from biggest to smallest. Anyone in the Brahman breed knows that some breeders need to check their pastures a little more often so if your calf won, and I assume had the correct birth date, then congrats.

I was surprised he got Reserve Calf Champ, he wasn't that big, just a real nicely put together calf.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":22ul7el7 said:
Ruby - congratulations. Nothing better than selling cattle and have them place well or perform well on the farm for the buyers.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":22ul7el7 said:

I guess I don't understand your comment. Most judges ARE big breeders - and most of them are very involved in showing cattle themselves - why else would they be qualified to judge. MANY extension/university judges "suck" - not all - just a lot of them.

From my experience (which hasnt been much, about a year and a half), the judges havent been big well known breeders. I have never shown against someone who has been judging another show. Every judge Ive seen I have never even heard their name before.

Maybe you never heard their name before - but maybe they are a breeder in a different breed. What did they do for a living? They usually announce their name, where they are from & their credentials qualifying them to be a judge.

TxCB.. you went to Houston last year, that was judged by a VERY big name breeder.

Unless of course, you're talking about junior shows, as opposed to open?

Congragulations Cherokee Ruby. Sounds like you and the exhibitor have done a bang up job.

Latest posts