Braggin on my gun......

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Had a 6BR built a while back and got serious this weekend at the shooting range. Shot several pretty fair 5 shot groups, below is the best one. 100 yards. Measured .157"

Might have potential.........................

6BR.jpg

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":361g4fis said:
What happened with the one at the top that wasn't even in the box :?: Other than that looks great.

That's a nail hole. The wind was blowing the targets out of the frame.

MikeC":7bmzobc2 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":7bmzobc2 said:
What happened with the one at the top that wasn't even in the box :?: Other than that looks great.

That's a nail hole. The wind was blowing the targets out of the frame.

Was the wind directly behind you, into you.

Good read on the wind anyways! Those little bullets tend to move around in the wind for me.

Tiger":1g0l5tvh said:
Id do anything for a gun like that, except pay for it. lol

Call Col. Billy Stevens in Alabama an have about $2500.00 in your pocket an you can have one.

curtis":1o8w0u02 said:
Tiger":1o8w0u02 said:

Call Col. Billy Stevens in Alabama an have about $2500.00 in your pocket an you can have one.

Curtis, Billy chambered the barrel and trued the action. It's a 700 in a Pug (aluminum) stock. Ugliest thing you'll ever see.
Weighs about 25 lbs. I'll try it in Unlimited class.

Wind was left to right 10-15.

backhoeboogie":9asm1rby said:
MikeC":9asm1rby said:

I assume you are loading your own cartridges?

Yes. We take the reloading stuff to the range to work up loads.

I don't know of any factory loads for a 6BR. It would be a sacrilege to shoot them if they were available anyway. Bullet seating depth, powder volume, etc. varies from gun to gun.

MikeC":1s5ru7o4 said:
I don't know of any factory loads for a 6BR. It would be a sacrilege to shoot them if they were available anyway. Bullet seating depth, powder volume, etc. varies from gun to gun.

Shows how long I been out of it. 6BR not even in my Hornady book. :lol:

I used to load a fair bit for a 22-250 I had 25 years ago. I could get those little cloverleafs on a good day. It was glassed and bedded but standard barrell/action.

What weight bullet Mike? BTHP ?
Those 55 grainers would not handle wind like that.

AngusLimoX":1lr8yawp said:
MikeC":1lr8yawp said:

Shows how long I been out of it. 6BR not even in my Hornady book. :lol:

I used to load a fair bit for a 22-250 I had 25 years ago. I could get those little cloverleafs on a good day. It was glassed and bedded but standard barrell/action.

What weight bullet Mike? BTHP ?
Those 55 grainers would not handle wind like that.

These are 68 grain hand rolled benchrest bullets. My good buddy Brady Knight in Ft. Deposit Al makes the best. Made with carbide dies and the best jackets made, J-4's. They are not as expensive as some of the more popular ones though.
He makes a 62 grain that I like better, but was out last time I went by. They have a very small HP on the tip. 8 ogive.

Your comments about smaller bullets not bucking the wind is another argument within itself. I really think they do until they slow down to a certain velocity.
Think about it. They have less area for the wind effect them than the bigger bullets, and usually are traveling faster out for a few hundred yards. Of course "Momentum" comes in to play and drag has more effect on momentum in a lighter bullet.

I love a 22-250 and like the 22-250 Ackley Improved even more. I had some AI's running over 4400 fps one time. :lol:

MikeC":299o2evq said:
I had some AI's running over 4400 fps one time. :lol:

I had one years ago and used to have a blast shooting the 45 gr Hornet bullets. Never could chrono them but you should have seen peoples eyes bug out when all you saw was a wisp of grey smoke going down range.

dun

dun":1rruvv64 said:
MikeC":1rruvv64 said:

I had one years ago and used to have a blast shooting the 45 gr Hornet bullets. Never could chrono them but you should have seen peoples eyes bug out when all you saw was a wisp of grey smoke going down range.

dun
:lol: :lol: :lol: Those Sierra "Hornets"?

I tried some 40's (don't remember the brand) but couldn't hit the ground with them. :lol: :lol:

Best we could figure the jacket was spinning on the cores.

Make sense?

MikeC":5v4km0jy said:
dun":5v4km0jy said:
MikeC":5v4km0jy said:

dun
:lol: :lol: :lol: Those Sierra "Hornets"?

I tried some 40's (don't remember the brand) but couldn't hit the ground with them. :lol: :lol:

Best we could figure the jacket was spinning on the cores.

Make sense?

The remington .223 ones.

dun

Good shooting Mike. Don't think its fair to give the gun all the credit for that grouping though especially with that kind of crosswind.

Jogeephus":9sw6s6oo said:
Good shooting Mike. Don't think its fair to give the gun all the credit for that grouping though especially with that kind of crosswind.

Aw shucks Jogee. Their ain't nothing to shootin in the wind if you got wind flags. Lot's of wind flags....................

supershoot.jpg

MikeC":31jf3qx9 said:
curtis":31jf3qx9 said:
Tiger":31jf3qx9 said:

Curtis, Billy chambered the barrel and trued the action. It's a 700 in a Pug (aluminum) stock. Ugliest thing you'll ever see.

Mike, some ugly guns shoot great, a few years back i had Billy build me a 6ppc on
Panda action right bolt left port
Jewell 2oz trigger
Krieger barrel, 1-14 twist
Kelbly stock

The stock was butt ugly, blue and white paint just like it came out of the mold,
but it shot like a house on Fire, i shot it in the first Shamrock match at Dublin Ga. an fired the smalliest group that i have ever shot in registered competition
an amazing .075 5 shot group at 100 yards.
I finished in 6th place out of 112 shooters in LV. with a .196 agg.
I sold that gun to Butch Fjoser in Mooreland Ok. an he won a yardage at the nationals with it.
Ugly, Yes
But what a shooter, thats one i should have kept, i won more trophys with that gun than any of the others i have owed.
As Billy. Bart, an Brady says-- watch the damn wind flags.

curtis":2t1y6hm4 said:
MikeC":2t1y6hm4 said:
curtis":2t1y6hm4 said:
Tiger":2t1y6hm4 said:

Mike, some ugly guns shoot great, a few years back i had Billy build me a 6ppc on
Panda action right bolt left port
Jewell 2oz trigger
Krieger barrel, 1-14 twist
Kelbly stock

The stock was butt ugly, blue and white paint just like it came out of the mold,
but it shot like a house on Fire, i shot it in the first Shamrock match at Dublin Ga. an fired the smalliest group that i have ever shot in registered competition
an amazing .075 5 shot group at 100 yards.
I finished in 6th place out of 112 shooters in LV. with a .196 agg.
I sold that gun to Butch Fjoser in Mooreland Ok. an he won a yardage at the nationals with it.
Ugly, Yes
But what a shooter, thats one i should have kept, i won more trophys with that gun than any of the others i have owed.
As Billy. Bart, an Brady says-- watch the be nice wind flags.

.075" ? .196" Agg ? I'd say that's pretty good shooting there!

Smallest group I ever shot was a .096" at the SuperShoot several years back.

James Messer built me a couple of hummers when I first started out but blew the throats out before I really learned how to shoot.

You oughta make the trip down to Mickey's this Fall. I meant to shoot there this spring but was calving a spring bunch and couldn't get away. I'm only 30-40 minutes from Rachels Glen.

Where are the matches held up there in Ark?

Guns are like women. "Pretty is as pretty does." :lol:

Lucky, Lucky, to be 30-40 minutes to Mickeys range.
The closest range to me is 4 hours to Fayette Al.
6 hours to Luther Ok.
6 hours to St. Louis
13 hours to Dublin Ga.
I haven,t competed in 2 years, hope to get started back soon.
Good luck with your ugly Pug gun.

Latest posts