bow hunters

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms

Reaction score
What are you shooting? I just broke down and bought a new one today, Hoyt TurboHawk. Now I have to wait for Oct 1 and practice practice and more practice.

My favorite is my Ben Person Spoiler. I've had several and I just like it better. It was built here in Arkansas by a dear friend that worked for them and passed away a year after I got it. I've had it for 15 years and it is still as accurate as the day I got it. Every time I go in a bow shop I have to try out the latest. I really like the Mathews bows and get to wondering if I could have anymore fun with them than I do with the one I have and just can't force myself to spend the money.

I am shooting a Mathews Switchback XT that I got year before last. This is my second Mathews bow. I have owned and used several PSE's, Golden Eagle, Bear, Hoyt, Bow-Tech and others over the years and have settled on Mathews for now. It seems that they are about the best out there with Bow-Tech pushing a close 2nd but mostly it is up to what feels right for you.

I shoot a Mathews Drenalin and I am also looking forward to October 1st also. Unfortunately it is October 1st. 2011, just had rotator cuff surgery so I'm going to be down for this season.

S & S are you hunting private ground up there or do you hunt around Cedar Bluffs?

Fly-guy":9lh6xzzd said:
I
S & S are you hunting private ground up there or do you hunt around Cedar Bluffs?

I hunt on our own property. my dad is healing up from rotator cuff surgery do your therapy.

I have to have rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder. It is torn in two places. I can still draw a bow when I turn it down around 62 lbs. so I am going to put it off and live with the pain until after deer season and get it fixed this winter. If it were my right shoulder I doubt I could pull anything. How bad is the therapy? I hate the thought of having to keep my arm immobile or having to experience the weakness after surgery.

Hoss, if you are right handed, I have some good news for you. First off, surgery on one's dominate arm / shoulder presents problems with personal hygiene and all other things you do for yourself. It sounds like you are dealing with torn ligaments on your left shoulder so I think that is good news.

My surgery dealt with removing bone spurs and repairing a stretched ligament. I'd like to tell you that is a piece of cake but that isn't the case. My doctor said that it was the most painful surgery that he does and I agree with him. He did a nerve block and then I spent one night in the hospital for pain management and I strongly recommend doing both.

As far as keeping your arm immobile, you will want to do that. My advice is to follow the doctor's orders completely. You don't want to mess anything up and have to do it over again.

As far as trying to hunt this year, I'd recommend having the surgery as soon as possible. There is a possibility that you may tear your ligaments worse by using your bow. I love to bow hunt as much as any other bow hunter and I just had to come to terms with sitting out this coming season.

I've been in physical therapy for about three weeks now and for the most part it's OK. When the therapist works on my range of motion it is somewhat painful. The good news is that I see results when they push me to the limit.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope and pray that it goes well with you.
:tiphat:

Fly Guy

Thanks for the info. I have the same problem with bone spurs and also a torn rotator cuff from pitching BP to a bunch of ungrateful 15 yr olds for 3 seasons.

As far as the hygene problems are concerned that's no big deal for me. I don't wash that much since i turned 55 anyway, and I can do the other with either hand.

The doctor told me to practice that before the surgery. Now if I only had the guts to have the surgery. Every time I get close, someone like you posts something like;

My doctor said that it was the most painful surgery that he does and it goes to the back burner. So I guess it's back to Motrin and Whiskey for another year.

3way, I wouldn't let it stop you because the longer you wait, the worse it will be. I have a neighbor that let his go for a long time and his surgery became more invasive. As far as the pain is concerned, thats what pain pills are for. I only took them for the first week after surgery and now only take them just before I go in for therapy.

Fly-guy":1qqvnm0j said:
3way, I wouldn't let it stop you because the longer you wait, the worse it will be. I have a neighbor that let his go for a long time and his surgery became more invasive. As far as the pain is concerned, thats what pain pills are for. I only took them for the first week after surgery and now only take them just before I go in for therapy.

Thanks, I actually just haven't been able to make time and truth be told it hurts less than it did a year ago. I guess I am like most folks when it gets too bad I will get it fixed. :dunce:
Now if I could just get that "one" ligament to stop catching on that "one" bone spur and causing those little involuntary screams I would be great. :help:

3waycross":3dsvmef7 said:
Fly-guy":3dsvmef7 said:

Thanks, I actually just haven't been able to make time and truth be told it hurts less than it did a year ago. I guess I am like most folks when it gets too bad I will get it fixed. :dunce:
Now if I could just get that "one" ligament to stop catching on that "one" bone spur and causing those little involuntary screams I would be great. :help:

I have the same problem. I was waving my arms up and down to turn a running cow and when I raised it to the perfect spot I could feel the tendon or ligament hang on and pop off of a bone spur.......I thought I had been shot. That sucker hurt like crazy. It seems that I am most bothered by sleeping on my left side. It leaves my whole shoulder joint sore.

It sounds like all three of us have the same problem! I have those stabbing pain less frequently than I did so I feel like it is getting better. I can tell that my range of motion improves after the therapy sessions. The old saying "no pain - no gain" is pretty much the way it is.

I've had two shoulder surgeries. Rotator cup twice and pinning a loose ligament to the bone. In surgery in the a.m. and home before supper. Auto pain pump at home for a few days. As long as I didn't hit it or roll over on it when I slept, never could complain of any pain. Except after the first surgery, I still had pain in the same place. New doctor. Cocky, young and willing to answer all my questions. The worst pain was stretching shortened muscles/ligaments when it was time to start rehab. First time, I went for PT. 2nd time around I did it myself by stretching and strengthening with stretchy straps.

The sooner you get the surgery, the closer you'll get to 100% recovery. :compute:

Latest posts