Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Preface:  Following information was obtained based on personal conversation (6/17/16) with Zoetis Technical Veterinarian.  888-963-8471.

There is what appears to be a contradiction on the label of Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5.  Below are two excerpts from the manufacturer's instructions in each box.

First the instructions for administering the vaccine:

Primary Vaccination: Administer a single 2-mL dose to all breeding cows and heifers approximately 1 month prior to breeding or being added to the herd.

Revaccination: Annual revaccination with a single dose of Bovi-Shield GOLD FP 5 is recommended

Second a warning provided in BOLD:

To help ensure safety in pregnant cattle, heifers must receive at least 2 doses of any Bovi-Shield GOLD FP or PregGuard GOLD FP product with the second dose administered approximately 30 days prebreeding.

I ask the Zoetis Veterinarian to explain the contradiction.  He stated that it is the result of poor labeling and I was not the first one to ask and I would not be the last.  Regardless, he stated that "the powers that be have not corrected it" no matter how badly he wished they would.

He stated that a single 2 mL dose given to heifers or cows provides adequate immunity.  The bold warning is intended to provide a higher level of safety should future vaccinations involve pregnant cattle.  In example, if you are adding a heifer to your herd, you should expose her to two vaccinations with Bovi-Shield Gold FP if she is going into a program where she will be vaccinated as a pregnant cow in the future.

Another useful fact.  The risk of abortions from vaccinating cattle with MLV for IBR and/or  BVD that have not previously been exposed to MLV for IBR or BVD can be as high as 60% abortion.  He is on a case that he recently completed where the producer used Bovi-Shield GOLD FP 5 on a herd of pregnant cows that had not previously been exposed to Bovi-Shield GOLD.  The abortion rate was 60 %.

Son of Butch":3jl0upvi said:
Yup, when in doubt use a killed vaccine.

X2
After all I've read and one saying its safe and another claiming it's not
err on the side of caution

Cross-7":2qsczdf9 said:
Son of Butch":2qsczdf9 said:
Yup, when in doubt use a killed vaccine.

X2
After all I've read and one saying its safe and another claiming it's not
err on the side of caution

This is the second time I have called Zoetis. BTW: great customer service, no long wait to talk to their experts.

I have no concern using FP MLV vaccines. I am very cautious. Use it exactly as the directions state. I have not lost a pregnancy in the six years of growing my herd. I have gone to 100 % AI so I follow the breeding history of each animal. Every cow in my small herd has been previously exposed to FP MLV. In fact some have had Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 for 5 years. I can now vaccinate pregnant cows.

The heifers that come up through my program get two doses of Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 before AI.

Didn't firesweep have an issue with it a few years back ?

I've read both sides and don't know which one is right

Cross-7":12avp6rn said:
Didn't firesweep have an issue with it a few years back ?

I've read both sides and don't know which one is right

Good memory. Yes. Kris will not use it. Her vet uses CattleMaster Gold FP 5.

A good product. BRSV component is only modified live virus. Also produced by Zoetis.

PS: do not remember the details of her episode. I do remember it was hot and her cows had elevated temperatures. She thought the MLV might have caused fever. Which is possible. I do my vaccinations in Fall and Spring. When I am developing a heifer, I vaccinate early in the morning - dawn.

With current environmental conditions, this is probably a good time to revisit the 85/70 rule.

If daytime temps are exceeding 85F, and nighttime temps are not dropping below 70F, you(generic) do not need to be doing ANYTHING stressful with cattle - and certainly not vaccinating... those conditions virtually assure that you will not get an optimum response to any vaccine/bacterin administered - and if it's a MLV product... you can count on it not working. Additionally, working cows in those environmental conditions can be a recipe for heat-stroke - in the cattle AND in the folks working them.

Several years back, I had a discussion with an older gentleman who'd brought some stocker calves in to the lab for necropsy, about this time of year. He was talking about when they'd been 'working' those calves a week or so earlier... said the pistol-grip syringe was so hot that it would burn your hand... what's the likelihood that the virus in that MLV product was DOA? Pretty good, I'd say...

We use CattleMaster (Zoetis' killed counterpart of Bovishield) on bought bred cows if we aren't sure they've been given it previously.

Latest posts