Bovatec and Coccidiosis

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Going to treat for coccidiosis. Feed guy suggested ionolyx mineral tubs containing bovatec. Normally I use corrid, but the idea of bovatec in a mineral tub seems easier and more likely get the whole herd evenly. Anyone else use these?

angus9259":2jsgm2bz said:
Going to treat for coccidiosis. Feed guy suggested ionolyx mineral tubs containing bovatec. Normally I use corrid, but the idea of bovatec in a mineral tub seems easier and more likely get the whole herd evenly. Anyone else use these?
You'll get the improved feed efficiency with the Bovatec and if you already have coccidiosis in the herd it will work to control it. If you're looking for prevention use a feed with Rumensin (Monensin) or Deccox in it.

Yeah, I had some stool come back positive. So Bovatec still the best route then is what you're saying? I like corrid, but I have so many different paddocks and pastures I rotate through it's hard to hit all the water supplies and keep them appropriately medicated for 5 days. If the Bovatec works, then I can just put a medicated mineral tub in each area so as to get the whole herd.

angus9259":1jqegk5x said:
Yeah, I had some stool come back positive. So Bovatec still the best route then is what you're saying? I like corrid, but I have so many different paddocks and pastures I rotate through it's hard to hit all the water supplies and keep them appropriately medicated for 5 days. If the Bovatec works, then I can just put a medicated mineral tub in each area so as to get the whole herd.

Yes sir it should work for you.

What about a feed with Bovatec, or would that be too minimal a dose?

RD-Sam":7rmu4tl8 said:
What about a feed with Bovatec, or would that be too minimal a dose?
Feed according to the directions on the bag and it should work IF the Bovatec is included at the recommended rate for that feeding rate. 68/gr.ton minimum in a complete feed.

RD-Sam":2g54p41c said:
I fed mine this for a week, then every other day for a week after we moved them. Don't know if they had coccidiosis or not, but figured it couldn't hurt. 50 pounds a day between 8 head, but the two calves didn't eat much of it. http://www.alafarm.com/divisions/feedfa ... ovatec.pdf

This is always the tricky part - everyone needs the meds and it has to be offered "free choice". It's why water works so well I think. Even then though, with calves on momma, will they get all the water they need?? It seems if you put it in feed then some will still get more than they need and some less if it's not a full feed scenario.

Hard to ever know who gets what when you're feeding a group, but day in and day out the averages will be pretty accurate. Bovatec is extremely safe so the only negative might be a timid calf that doesn't get the needed amount of feed with Bovatec on a daily basis.

Always gotta caution folks about feeding Rumensin or Bovatec - make sure horses, if you have any, don't have access to it - can be fatal to them.
Deccox appears not to be a major threat to the hay-burners, but I still wouldn't recommend feeding a decoquinate-medicated feed to horses.

Lucky_P":35vad686 said:
Always gotta caution folks about feeding Rumensin or Bovatec - make sure horses, if you have any, don't have access to it - can be fatal to them.
Deccox appears not to be a major threat to the hay-burners, but I still wouldn't recommend feeding a decoquinate-medicated feed to horses.
Manufactured feeds containing Bovatec or Rumensin must carry a warning about the dangers to equines.

Actually, that's why I originally bought some . . . take care of this frickin' horse problem we have over here. Figured I'd see how it worked on the coccidiosis while I had it.

"Manufactured feeds containing Bovatec or Rumensin must carry a warning about the dangers to equines."

Yeah, I know - but how many folks don't read the label?
And how many questions have any of us seen posed here that wouldn't need to have been asked if folks had read the label and actually followed the instructions? TNTC

We had an extra kid (not our own) living with us for a while. One day she decided to help out and feed the horses. Didn't know the difference between horse feed and medicated calf-grower ration - and the bags were all in the same feed bin. Luckily, the calf ration contained Deccox, and not Bovatec or Rumensin. No harm, no foul.

a9259 - ROTFLMAO!
Knowhatchamean about the horse problem. Solving that one means much bigger $$$ savings than clearing up a little coccidiosis!

angus9259":r1193di5 said:
Actually, that's why I originally bought some . . . take care of this frickin' horse problem we have over here. Figured I'd see how it worked on the coccidiosis while I had it.
Angus I don't know if donkeys handle "meds" better than horses or what but I've seen quite a few jennies running with boer goats that eat rumensin medicated feed daily with no ill effects. But the bag does still contain the warning.

And Doc you're right...the warning is there....very few take the 2 minutes needed to read the tag and most feed store owners are uneducated on it too.

TexasBred":3kgebr5h said:
angus9259":3kgebr5h said:
Angus I don't know if donkeys handle "meds" better than horses or what but I've seen quite a few jennies running with boer goats that eat rumensin medicated feed daily with no ill effects. But the bag does still contain the warning.

And Doc you're right...the warning is there....very few take the 2 minutes needed to read the tag and most feed store owners are uneducated on it too.
TBRED

Even the most renowned posters here at ct don't read labels.

'Even the most renowned posters here at ct don't read labels.'

Yeah, and I'm as guilty as the next guy.

Latest posts