Bought a bull, sight unseen

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Not only that, but I have no clue what his EPD's are. That's how much I trust my breeder. He has all the registrations from my previous and current bulls, and he knows my operation. Docility is paramount. Since I have been buying from him, my weaning weights have increased, and I have yet to disqualify a potential replacement heifer because her pelvic measurements were below my threshold. That said, I am anxious to see his EPD's (registration filed, should get it soon).

Continuing the theme of slightly inappropriate (salty) names for our bulls, meet Tallywacker! He's a yearling and dwarfed by Woody & Willy (we sold Johnson), but he's a stout little guy and will be perfect for my heifers. Super docile!!! He was eating cubes from my hand in less than a week. Woohoo!!!Tallywacker.jpgIMG_20220501_161228.jpgIMG_20220501_161324.jpgIMG_20220510_092600.jpgIMG_20220510_091345340.jpg

He can just cool his jets for a few more weeks! Not interested in calving during yet another epic cold "spring".
I know that's right!! This last February was almost as bad as the year before.

My Tallywacker is outta work til end of the month!

Should clarify that a lil. Big Sexy is off with the bred cows til end of month...

I know that's right!! This last February was almost as bad as the year before.

My Tallywacker is outta work til end of the month!

Should clarify that a lil. Big Sexy is off with the bred cows til end of month...
It's amazing how turning them out all of 10 days earlier made a huge difference - in a bad way. But we were working cattle, seemed like the perfect time . . . . Lesson learned.

He has a bit of wow factor to me TC, I think you've done well. I'll be interested to see his pedigree and EPD's as well.

Ken
Thanks, Ken. He was still on the trailer when I saw him for the first time, and I actually said "Wow!" I'll post his registration when I get it. Lovin' this bull already. He was chewing on my elbow this morning while I was digging out a couple cubes from the cannister. He knows I've got the goods!

Envious of the relationship you have with the bull breeder... he does a wonderful job for you.... NICE young bull.
Jan, I forgot to mention, this is the breeder that replaced my brand-spanking new bull 3 years ago when he got struck by lightning after having him all of 3 weeks. Felt like I had been gut punched when I saw him and even had my vet post him to be sure (took the hit in his shoulder, out his foot). Delivered my new bull a couple days later and refused to take my check, saying he guarantees his bulls for a year. Clearly, an act of nature had nothing to do with fertility, docility, etc. But he was almost as upset as me. He's the quintessential Good Ol' Boy and cares deeply about his stock.

Jan, I forgot to mention, this is the breeder that replaced my brand-spanking new bull 3 years ago when he got struck by lightning after having him all of 3 weeks. Felt like I had been gut punched when I saw him and even had my vet post him to be sure (took the hit in his shoulder, out his foot). Delivered my new bull a couple days later and refused to take my check, saying he guarantees his bulls for a year. Clearly, an act of nature had nothing to do with fertility, docility, etc. But he was almost as upset as me. He's the quintessential Good Ol' Boy and cares deeply about his stock.
and his reputation, and his customers and how he is perceived by peers and people in the industry. The exact kind of person you want to do business with.

Latest posts