Bottle feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Peye

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am new to this wonderful forum. I am also new with cattle. Maybe you could clarify this for me?

When do I have to stop bottle feeding a calf?

Thanks for all your help :D

Well I am far from an expert, but I've had a little experience with bottle feeding.

Now do you mean bottle to bucket or bottle to grain?

If it's bottle to bucket (pour the milk in the bucket and let him drink from there) I say as soon as you are able to get him to it.

I've always had a little grain there to offer for him to sample although they just seem to play with it at first (and that's ok)

If I remember correctly, we tried to wean from milk around 3-4 months, but our last one that we purchased, they were still giving him milk replacer at 6 or 7 months old. I stopped that quickly once he was here.

There are many more people here more qualified than I, but I hope I gave you some helpful information. It's just what we do, not necessarily the right thing to do.

Thank you cowgirl!

They are 3 months old and they already eat grain and grass. I started with 3 bottles a day, then I cut to two.

Once I saw mine were eating grain, I slowly gave less milk (2 down to 1 bottle) and then even weaker milk (more water than replacer) all the while giving them free-choice hay, pasture and increased grain.

3 months old and already on grain and grass, go ahead and wean them. your on 3 bottles a day? tomarrow go to 2 and then like 2 days later 1 and then none.

Peye":2hysbckn said:
Hi everybody,

I am new to this wonderful forum. I am also new with cattle. Maybe you could clarify this for me?

When do I have to stop bottle feeding a calf?

Thanks for all your help :D

When to stop giving a bottle baby is going to vary very widely according to the person you're talking to - some stop at 6 weeks, some stop when a 50 bag of milk replacer is gone, some stop at anywhere between 2-4 months of age. I would suggest you base your decision on when to stop feeding bottles based on the calfs consumption of grain, his size, and how well he is gaining weight - and no sooner than at least 2 months. I continue to feed at least one bottle, sometimes two - depending on the calf - until 3 months or so, but that is just me. Once he is eating grain well, then start backing off on the bottles a little to encourage him to eat more. Make sure he has hay available, and a good loose mineral in addition to his water.

cattleluvr18":14zib4aw said:
3 months old and already on grain and grass, go ahead and wean them. your on 3 bottles a day? tomarrow go to 2 and then like 2 days later 1 and then none.

No , only two a day

Peye":1fvrfted said:
cattleluvr18":1fvrfted said:

No , only two a day

oh well then, cut down to one a day for a couple of days. just make sure they're eating good and drinking good.

cattleluvr18":2hyceof2 said:

I believe I would do it a little more gradually than that. Cuts down the stress on the animal.

there is another thread on the beginners board that deal with the same issue, read that as well.

CowgirlUpNY":1m6au59l said:
If it's bottle to bucket (pour the milk in the bucket and let him drink from there) I say as soon as you are able to get him to it.

Calves shouldn't be fed from a bucket in this manner. I learned the hard way back in the 70's. Couldn't figure out why this doggied the calves. Then it was explained to me by a vet. The manna doesn't go to the right stomach without neck position and vacuum. I guess if you are just going to butcher the calf or use it for veal, it doesn't matter if it is doggied.

What age do you wean your calves from their mothers? The longer you keep the calves on milk the better they will do. I typically will feed bottle babies for six months, I know it is not necessary they won't die if taken off earlier but if they are females they get kept in the herd and I want them looking as good as the rest and being psychologically normal too. It's expensive though and one reason I do everything possile to not have bottle calves. So you also have to look at the cost versus what you get in return and decide for yourself. The youngest we have weaned is just over four months on a steer who was always a little off and getting dangerous. I would keep them on until 4 months though and then continue supplementing them with grain.

Victoria":3hnu4n5k said:
What age do you wean your calves from their mothers? The longer you keep the calves on milk the better they will do. I typically will feed bottle babies for six months, I know it is not necessary they won't die if taken off earlier but if they are females they get kept in the herd and I want them looking as good as the rest and being psychologically normal too. It's expensive though and one reason I do everything possile to not have bottle calves. So you also have to look at the cost versus what you get in return and decide for yourself. The youngest we have weaned is just over four months on a steer who was always a little off and getting dangerous. I would keep them on until 4 months though and then continue supplementing them with grain.

Thanks for your answer. They were one month old more or less when they were taken away from the mama.

KNERSIE":2ljsrvdq said:
there is another thread on the beginners board that deal with the same issue, read that as well.

I read it , thank you. :D

Thanks everybody for your answers :D

We are now down to one bottle a day. One is doing fine, the other one mooing like crazy...she wants her milk! :shock:

She will be fine :)

MVC-017S.JPG

I just want you to see my calf.The firts pic is when I got her 2 months ago.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/500/MVC-102S.JPG

Latest posts