Bottle Feeding Calfs

Help Support CattleToday:

nick

Reaction score
Im new here and need some help. I have just bought a calf he was jumping around and looked healthy before i bought him. He was ok for a couple of days but now he has the scours. I have cut back the amount of powder i mix with water i was told to do that is that right. what else can i do. i have bought calfs in the past and they all have died the same way. please help and let me know what im doing wrong and what can i do to make him better before he dies. Thanks

Scour the bottle in boiling water before each use. Go to your Co-op or vet and get something to give him a shot to combat the scours ASAP. The feed store will probably have various remedies for this type of problem. Waste no time! Get help from an experienced cattleman if one is near.

If he's scouring you need to make sure he gets plenty of fluids.. cutting back his milk won't help. You're going to need to supplement his milk feeding with electrolytes. Try giving him a bottle of electrolytes in between his milk feedings. You need to try and feed him every four hours until his scours clear up. You also need to put him on antibiotics for the scours. Do you have a vet that can help you?

I have just bought a calf he was jumping around and looked healthy before i bought him. He was ok for a couple of days but now he has the scours.

I had a calf like that about a week or two ago. I brought him in the garage, put him on straw under a heat lamp, gave him LA200 (actually the generic brand of Agrimycin), Diawin scour pills, Kao-Pec every couple hours around the clock, tubed him several times because he wouldn't drink his milk...

long story short, it took a few days, but he's better now and back with the nurse cow.

Medic - I haven't tried it....to be honest, I hadn't heard of it, either. I found it in one of my catalogs - it looks really good and I may have to try it out sometime.

nick - how's the calf?

You might try to get the rumen in good shape also. Like using some probios or a similare product.

Scotty

We had a bottle baby and we put a raw egg in the milk replacer. Use a good quality milk replacer. hope this helps.

Latest posts