Bottle Calves update

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
My two holstein bulls are now 9 weeks old, and off the bottle. I am feeding them 3 - 4 lbs of calf starter each per day, along with free choice hay and clean water. I plan to have each one cut and de-horned within the next month. With that said, here are my questions...

1. Should I be giving loose mineral now that they are off the replacer?
2. Is it time for any vaccinations/dewormer? If so which vaccinations?
3. Am I feeding them enough starter?

My plan is to feed them starter until they are 3 months old, then switch to some type of calf grower feed. I figure to feed them
4 - 5 lbs of grain per day along with hay. Does this seem like a good plan? Should I steady increase the amount of grain as they grow?

Also, will this be enough protein for them, or should I supplement with cattle cubes or a protein tub?

Thanks

Tim

Every steer seems to be a bit different. You get a steer out of a cow and the same off spring a year later, sired out of the same bull, will be a bit different - or it could be the same. When you have a couple dozen to feed out, you just pick what works best for the majority. With two, I'd do the same. Try a couple of feeds and see what they do the best on. Watch their stools close.

Baby Beef was the best feed for me all around but I haven't found it for the last couple of years. It was a really good grower/finisher for a whole bunch I was feeding out. The feed store that had it quit carrying it. You might can find it in your area.

If you steer them and you are going to sell them to individuals, I wouldn't worry about those horns. If you are taking them to a sale, it is only a small dock on the price.

These steers are not going to be sold to anyone. They will be going into the freezer for my family, and friends/extended family. If the horns will not get that long, then I guess I could leave them alone.

tim1970":3vam51qc said:
These steers are not going to be sold to anyone. They will be going into the freezer for my family, and friends/extended family. If the horns will not get that long, then I guess I could leave them alone.

I would leave them be. Absolutely.

larryshoat":1z73scn3 said:
About a foot on each side :( .

Larry

Not on a holstein they won't. Here's a pic of a yearling...

calf50horns_121306.jpg

larryshoat":3rpp0b99 said:
milkmaid":3rpp0b99 said:
larryshoat":3rpp0b99 said:
About a foot on each side :( .

Larry

Not on a holstein they won't. Here's a pic of a yearling...

calf50horns_121306.jpg
I hope that's a joke.

Larry

Larry, I hope your joking. Ive never seen foot long horns on a holstein.....but I havent seen all the holsteins in the world so you never know.

larryshoat":2gvn59qt said:
I hope that's a joke.

Larry

Absolutely not. Actually, looking back at the date the calf is about 10 months; weighed around 750lbs. Why would you think it's a joke?

milkmaid":1ddi0hqb said:
larryshoat":1ddi0hqb said:
I hope that's a joke.

Larry

Absolutely not. Actually, looking back at the date the calf is about 10 months; weighed around 750lbs. Why would you think it's a joke?
1.I have never heard of not dehorning Holstein cattle by professional calf raisers. 2. I've never seen a contract that didn't specify that all calves must be dehorned.3. do you know for certain that somebody didn't attempt to dehorn this calf when it was very young? 4. A steer at 10 months will be about 1000 lbs. I dehorn about 800 steers a year and have seen horns that big at 12 weeks. I guess I need to go around and take some pictures if I could figure out how get em on here

larryshoat":2nd0fa5e said:
milkmaid":2nd0fa5e said:
larryshoat":2nd0fa5e said:
I hope that's a joke.

Larry

1.I have never heard of not dehorning Holstein cattle by professional calf raisers. 2. I've never seen a contract that didn't specify that all calves must be dehorned.3. do you know for certain that somebody didn't attempt to dehorn this calf when it was very young? 4. A steer at 10 months will be about 1000 lbs. I dehorn about 800 steers a year and have seen horns that big at 12 weeks. I guess I need to go around and take some pictures if I could figure out how get em on here

1 and 2. I'm neither a professional calf raiser nor do I do contracts. Also, the calf in the pic was dehorned a day or two after the pic was taken. Long story.

3. I bought the calf off a dairy and I know no one touched her horns before I purchased her.

4. I don't believe I've even seen calves at the BIG dairies (let alone the small ones) at 1000lbs by 10 months. Keep in mind dairy heifers are bred around 850 and 12 months of age.

5. Horns that size at 12 weeks? I only have one word for that... whatever. :roll:

tim1970":2kjs3c6k said:
1. Should I be giving loose mineral now that they are off the replacer?

Mineral should have been available from about day 3, or 4.

2. Is it time for any vaccinations/dewormer? If so which vaccinations?

Assuming they got colostrum, I wouldn't worry about vaccinations until they were a minimum of 4 weeks old. As far as which ones, talk to your vet - he can recommend what is needed in your area.

Thanks

Tim

Ok, we have established the fact that these critters aregoing to be for home grown beef, makes things alot easier...........

You want easy cheap (er) beef without alot of input costs I assume?

Don't worry bout the horns.You are keeping them, you are eating the meat not the horns....horn removal is simply for market animals. So less work for you, less stress for them.

Snip or band the nuts asap, get it over with. Use a good vaccine such as covexin-8 to prevent problems with the banding etc. This vaccine is cheap, and also helps prevent the most common diseases that effect cattle.

Are these your only cattle now? No other contact with others? then don't bother with the worry or expense of other vaccines. unless you have some really virolent bug going around that is transmitted via insects etc. By the time that they are old enough to really begin active immunity you will be about to beef them anyway, at least six months old before a good immunity can be established..

Otherwise at this young age, go for an internasel vaccines that gives rapid protection again many respritory issues. Stay away from any MLV's as they can in fact infect young calves with a psydo-illness not unlike what you are trying to actually prevent.

Here is my take on all the different feeds...................you are going to EAT them..you are NOT raising them as replacement heifers, or brood cattle, show animals, etc.....don't go overboard on expensive feeds and minerals...a good calf starter and good milk are a must for ANY calf operation, but after that, a decent 12-13 % protien calf grower is fine, and if you want to save some bucks and get good growth along with energy for this cold time of year, suppliment the feed with corn, this is the feed of choice for feed lots to fatten animals fast......and based upon your geographic area....corn may or may not be cheaper then premixed feed.

Another idea, again based upon your location is the availablity of distillers grains, a cheaper feed yet.

Now here is the thing...if these calves do NOT share the pasture with any other animals your job is that much easier. you hardly have to worry about the vaccines, and worming besides the ONE time worming i would do just prior to allowing them out in open pasture not shared with other animals. Again, you are beefing them, so what few parasites they may pick up won't become an issue and begin to 'load' them until well past beefing age.

. At this young age, you can basicly creep feed (free choice)them, meaning that if you chose to, you can allow them all the grain they want to eat............younger calves, unlike older cattle will not load up to the point of health problems........doing this allows you to do several things...............they grow faster, allows you to also add free choice hay or other roughages which is a must.
And you can use a much cheaper concentrate that way. If you think that they are eating to much, or want to limit the grain intake you can do so by feeding a limiter, or salting it down a bit..........Purina has a formula for such a program. Don't worry about protien tubs etc if you are feeding grain.....just another expense not needed.

As far as mineral programs...........yes i believe in them, and GOOD mineral programs are expensive, and essentil for established long time breeding herds.........but in your case.......a bag of red TM salt will get you through on these two BEEFS at less then 8 bucks for the bag.

Now, another important thing..........what ever you do...make all feed changes gradually......even the changes of brands and types of grains............. prevents intestional disorders or upsets. If you can fed corn the cheapest then do so........just not so much that they bloat.

Main thing here is to get the least expensive gains for your time efforts, and money. Don't buy into all the bells and whistles for raising meat. Once you have established the fact that you are a mini feed lot so to speak act that way! Keep the expense of all inputs in mind as you prepare these guys for your table.

So, first thing is don't be confused here...........most of what is sold in the feed stores and what is discussed in these forums are all about producing herds of reproducing cattle, LONG TERM investments so to speak...not raising a couple of steers for the freezer at home..............and many of us will tell you , if they are willing to admit....most of the beef in OUR freezers are our FAILURES......the animals that didn't make it market for one reason or the other.

So go into the remainder of the few months these guys have before they go onto your table with economy in mind, don't worry about all the fancy acrutements that can go into raising livestock....it's just not needed in this case.

and as always...Good Luck!

And hey guys.................another 'highjacked' thread debating horn length? for shame......lol :lol: ;-) :cboy:

Medic24":w2catmtg said:
And hey guys.................another 'highjacked' thread debating horn length? for shame......lol :lol: ;-) :cboy:

Not that bad. Plus my neighbor there in Decatur probably had no idea how long those horns would be. Certainly not a foot long. Hippie summed it up. MM knows the breed as well as anyone. Your input was great. So now tim1970 has to figure out who to listen to. Its his nickels and his choice.

Medic24":3e1q8x3y said:
Ok, we have established the fact that these critters aregoing to be for home grown beef, makes things alot easier...........

You want easy cheap (er) beef without alot of input costs I assume?

Don't worry bout the horns.You are keeping them, you are eating the meat not the horns....horn removal is simply for market animals. So less work for you, less stress for them.

Snip or band the nuts asap, get it over with. Use a good vaccine such as covexin-8 to prevent problems with the banding etc. This vaccine is cheap, and also helps prevent the most common diseases that effect cattle.

Are these your only cattle now? No other contact with others? then don't bother with the worry or expense of other vaccines. unless you have some really virolent bug going around that is transmitted via insects etc. By the time that they are old enough to really begin active immunity you will be about to beef them anyway, at least six months old before a good immunity can be established..

Otherwise at this young age, go for an internasel vaccines that gives rapid protection again many respritory issues. Stay away from any MLV's as they can in fact infect young calves with a psydo-illness not unlike what you are trying to actually prevent.

Here is my take on all the different feeds...................you are going to EAT them..you are NOT raising them as replacement heifers, or brood cattle, show animals, etc.....don't go overboard on expensive feeds and minerals...a good calf starter and good milk are a must for ANY calf operation, but after that, a decent 12-13 % protien calf grower is fine, and if you want to save some bucks and get good growth along with energy for this cold time of year, suppliment the feed with corn, this is the feed of choice for feed lots to fatten animals fast......and based upon your geographic area....corn may or may not be cheaper then premixed feed.

Another idea, again based upon your location is the availablity of distillers grains, a cheaper feed yet.

Now here is the thing...if these calves do NOT share the pasture with any other animals your job is that much easier. you hardly have to worry about the vaccines, and worming besides the ONE time worming i would do just prior to allowing them out in open pasture not shared with other animals. Again, you are beefing them, so what few parasites they may pick up won't become an issue and begin to 'load' them until well past beefing age.

. At this young age, you can basicly creep feed (free choice)them, meaning that if you chose to, you can allow them all the grain they want to eat............younger calves, unlike older cattle will not load up to the point of health problems........doing this allows you to do several things...............they grow faster, allows you to also add free choice hay or other roughages which is a must.
And you can use a much cheaper concentrate that way. If you think that they are eating to much, or want to limit the grain intake you can do so by feeding a limiter, or salting it down a bit..........Purina has a formula for such a program. Don't worry about protien tubs etc if you are feeding grain.....just another expense not needed.

As far as mineral programs...........yes i believe in them, and GOOD mineral programs are expensive, and essentil for established long time breeding herds.........but in your case.......a bag of red TM salt will get you through on these two BEEFS at less then 8 bucks for the bag.

Now, another important thing..........what ever you do...make all feed changes gradually......even the changes of brands and types of grains............. prevents intestional disorders or upsets. If you can fed corn the cheapest then do so........just not so much that they bloat.

Main thing here is to get the least expensive gains for your time efforts, and money. Don't buy into all the bells and whistles for raising meat. Once you have established the fact that you are a mini feed lot so to speak act that way! Keep the expense of all inputs in mind as you prepare these guys for your table.

So, first thing is don't be confused here...........most of what is sold in the feed stores and what is discussed in these forums are all about producing herds of reproducing cattle, LONG TERM investments so to speak...not raising a couple of steers for the freezer at home..............and many of us will tell you , if they are willing to admit....most of the beef in OUR freezers are our FAILURES......the animals that didn't make it market for one reason or the other.

So go into the remainder of the few months these guys have before they go onto your table with economy in mind, don't worry about all the fancy acrutements that can go into raising livestock....it's just not needed in this case.

and as always...Good Luck!

Yea I know, bad Larry :oops:

Larry

milkmaid":1g1r30qe said:
larryshoat":1g1r30qe said:
milkmaid":1g1r30qe said:
larryshoat":1g1r30qe said:
I hope that's a joke.

Larry

1 and 2. I'm neither a professional calf raiser nor do I do contracts. Also, the calf in the pic was dehorned a day or two after the pic was taken. Long story.

3. I bought the calf off a dairy and I know no one touched her horns before I purchased her.

4. I don't believe I've even seen calves at the BIG dairies (let alone the small ones) at 1000lbs by 10 months. Keep in mind dairy heifers are bred around 850 and 12 months of age.

5. Horns that size at 12 weeks? I only have one word for that... whatever. :roll:
The time has come for me to re-analyze what I said and where I'm wrong admit it. I said " about a foot on each side", that was somewhat tongue in cheek. I have never actually measured the average horn size a 12 month old steer. So I admit that I don't know exactly how big it would be, but I do know that your heifer is not typical of what a 12 month old steer will look like. If I had thought that statement would become the focal point of the thread I would have been more careful. I apologize. The statement about the 12 week old calves goes with the first one. We used to dehorn at 10 weeks and from time to time let some go to 12 weeks and there is a big difference,but again I have no real documentation. For this statement I apologize as well. A calf gaining 3 lbs a day should weigh 1000 in 300 days. If we can't make a steer gain 3 lbs a day we're not even in the game. So I will stand by this statement. My thinking was centered on convincing Tim to dehorn his cattle, my method was poor at best.Some have have said that since there are only two that vaccinations and dehorning would not be necessary, and I think they make a reasonable argument. The only thing I would add to that is if young children can come in contact with the cattle, dehorn them.

Larry

If you are feeding a good calf starter or grower feed it should have enough minerals in it, check the tag or ask your feed salesman. you might want to give them a salt block.

From limo's, shorthorns and jerseys, I would say max of 10 - 15 cm (sorry guys I work in metric). But I've never seen a non-dehorned friesian.

Larry - re:

The only thing I would add to that is if young children can come in contact with the cattle, dehorn them.

You do know that if an animal wants to hurt a kid, there are many more ways it can achieve that besides its horns???

Townies around here always say ooh, look at his great big horns, you wouldnt want him to attack you. Well between hooves, teeth and their head, they dont need horns to attack you.

Latest posts