Bottle Calf Question

Help Support CattleToday:

donnaIL

Reaction score
Our oldest cow had her 10 & 11 calves on Dec 22. Couldn't believe it 10 pregnancy's and now twins !! Bull calves too, was happy about that:)
She accepts both of them as her own, but I am bottle feeding one of them. It was complicated her taking both of them because she has had 2 teats amputated the last 2 pregnancy's..not the greatest udder situation--but lots of milk and raised the last calf on 2 teats no problem. Both teats on one side, so the one I am bottle feeding is the smaller of the two and was either too stupid or not strong enought to knock the other one out of the way.

She had them in the barn and they stayed in there for about 10 days and everything was fine. Then on Monday she decided it was time to go to the pasture. I didn't have a problem with that as long as I could get the calf to come to the bottle. First attempted feeding while in the pasture failed, the calf only ran. Yesterday morning, the calf was now a little more hungry from missing the evening meal, but now had developed a fear of humans and me ????? So I have to sit out in the pasture for about 30-45 minutes for it to trust me..when it starts eating I back up until I get it in the barn and it is now penned up in there.

It has been along time since I had a bottle calf so I am hoping someone could help me remember when they are smart enough to come for the bottle (I am actually starting a bucket with a nipple) ?

I want to let him go as soon as possible to be with the herd, but I need him to come for feed. He will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. I was hoping maybe next week I could set him loose. I have 5 cows that calved recently and 1 ready to go anytime, so I am hoping he will figure out how to steal milk or another cow will take him.

Thanks and I don't need advise on culling the cow. Donna

donnaIL":3h5p31hj said:
I don't need advise on culling the cow. Donna
:lol2: You can sure see that coming ~ yes?
Anyhow, I would say try again in 7 days (no more than 7). I have put them separate for 12-14 days then released with the herd and had no problems with them coming for the bottle, but mine were sale barn calves and had no connection with the herd mommas. I really hate to keep them penned, but sitting around waiting for 30-45 minutes for that calf to decide to eat would be a bummer too. Do you have a corral that baby can go in, or an indoor/outdoor pen?

Yes I have a small pen made with an opening only the calves can fit into. It was using it before it went out in the pasture. Maybe it went in shock being out in the cold weather.

Thanks for your advise. This morning when I went out to the barn the calf was sucking the nipple on the bucket, so it's getting use to that idea. I will try releasing probably over the weekend. I have another cow looking like she will calf today or tomorrow and messing around in the pasture with 6 momma cows with month old babies is not my idea of fun, plus I have another group of spring calvers who want to help protect them.

As far as culling the cow, I wanted her to go last year, but she was nursing and raising a calf..as she has every year and then was pregnant again. Her udder is usually a problem because it is so huge, but as her calf starts nursing it, it takes care of itself. Now this year she will be raising another calf too..I hope 2 (and I do hope she goes because all of our other cows are maintenance free!). The biggest problem was having TWO !

I'd pull that calf and pen it. Forget about momma as she is going to have a growing calf on her already. That growing calf will steadily develop more and more appetite. This appetite will simply make an already bad situation a bit worse. Focus on the smaller guy. Putting him in his own pen will ensure he gets his bottle.

If you turn him out in a couple of weeks, he'll be looking for his bottle or else sneaking meals off of other cows when they are nursing their own calves. If he is snatching nutrition off of other cows in the herd at that point, it looks like you'll have no choice but to keep him seperate until weaning.

I agree with backhoe. Keep the little fella penned up, and bottle feed him. Let Momma cow take care of the other one. If you dont have time to feed the other one, just sell him to someone who does. I did that a few weeks ago with one of mine. Was worth $250 for me not to have to bottle feed.

Thanks LimoMike and BackhoeBoogie,

I was thinking about selling him too..but to tell the truth I could use another beef to sell at weaning if he grows good. Trying to get him on some starter too as milk replacer price is pretty high. $250 sounds pretty good. I'm going to release him on Friday..I have other commitments on Wed and Thur that don't give me the time to chase him around. If he doesn't get it together, will pen him and then the next sale at the barn is Wed.

When my nurse cows are wet, I am looking for just what you have - beef calves to graft.

You are exactly right on the milk replacer. I don't know how people can profit much, even with beef prices as high as they are.

Once he's used to coming for his bottle and you turn him loose, call him up to get his bottle. If he doesn;t come up he's probably become a "sneaky snacker" or maybe one of the other cows will claim him.
When we had to bottle feed calves I would keep them separate for a week or so then turn them out with the cows but still twice a day go out with the bottle. Some stay on the bottle, others get enough from the other sources and stop being interested in the bottle.

dun":2vhluet4 said:
When we had to bottle feed calves I would keep them separate for a week or so then turn them out with the cows but still twice a day go out with the bottle. Some stay on the bottle, others get enough from the other sources and stop being interested in the bottle.
Yes, this has been my experience as well.

Yes Dun and Angie, Thats what I'm hoping for, but I know he hadn't eaten the first night out. I just didn't want to let him go down hill. He has been a good eater from day one eating 1 gallon of milk 2 times a day. He just seems kinda dumb about it. I will post what happens next week.

thats weird that it was used to coming to you for the bottle but wouldnt out in the pasture. ive had them be skittish after one or two feedings but not if i had been feeding them for a while. of course mine usually arent getting milk from any other source and it sounds like yours may be. plus if he is he will prefer the real thing, even in limited quantity. 2 gallons?! no wonder he wasnt hungry. i guess just be consistant, i always show them the bottle and make a sucking noise and they come running once they are used to the idea. lucy?

Yes Beefy, they are Lucy's calves. I locked him up a couple days, then let him go and he stayed in the barn a couple of days. Sometimes when I go up he comes to the fence and I bottle feed him, a couple of times he won't come.

Yesterday when I went he was nursing Lucy (the cow)..she apparently had enough of it and layed down while he was nursing, so he came to the fence and drank 1 1/2 (3 quarts) of milk replacer. As soon a I started feeding him, she stood up and the other twin nursed the other teat (she only has 2 so the one the bottle calf had not nursed).

Today when I went he came right up to the fence and drank 2 bottle (1 gallon), Lucy walked over and was mooing at him standing for him, but he wanted the bottle. I have only been feeding him once a day since I have seen him nursing. I wonder if I should try twice a day. I also wonder and I going to have to keep supplementing him.

Our cattle are not on the property where we live, so it is kinda a pain to have to make multiple trips there each day. I also wish he would start taking the bucket and not the bottle. Hopefully he will take to the bucket soon and come up to the barn. I can already see myself standing out at the fence in a blizzard or something!

Latest posts