Bottle Baby, Off to a good start, now what?

Help Support CattleToday:

SCRUBS620

Reaction score
I bought a bottle calf at the auction (I know, but I have done it before). He's a beef calf and was very lively in the ring. I have had him a week now, still very lively. He eats well, 2 qts 2 times oer day and usually greets me eagerly. I give him textured calf starter each day which I cant tell if he is eating or just nosing and spilling. No signs of scours (knock on wood). Now I have several questions.

1.When do I up the amount of milk replacer I am giving him? He still seems to be looking for more when the bottle is gone.

2. Do I need to vaccinate him, with what and how soon? Any other shots/meds?

3. Should I give ProBios as a precaution or is this only if they are sick and on antibiotics?

4. When should I band him? I want to make sure he is strong enough to handle it.

5. When do you wean him? I know that he needs to be eating a certain amount of grain first but is there a minimum amount of time or milk that he needs?

I would really be interested in what you do personally. Thanks :tiphat:

SCRUBS620":1mun3fek said:
I bought a bottle calf at the auction (I know, but I have done it before). He's a beef calf and was very lively in the ring. I have had him a week now, still very lively. He eats well, 2 qts 2 times oer day and usually greets me eagerly. I give him textured calf starter each day which I cant tell if he is eating or just nosing and spilling. No signs of scours (knock on wood). Now I have several questions.

1.When do I up the amount of milk replacer I am giving him? He still seems to be looking for more when the bottle is gone.

I'm not going to get into how much milk replacer I usually feed - too much controversy. :lol: :lol: Do you have grass hay out for him? If not, you might want to think about putting a small flake out for him, monitoring how much he's eating, and adjust accordingly. Once he is eating that good, then start introducing a little alfalfa and gradually increase it until he's getting half grass/half alfalfa. If he does not have a pen-mate to teach him how to eat you will probably need to stick a little calf starter in his mouth several times a day to get him going.

2. Do I need to vaccinate him, with what and how soon? Any other shots/meds?

Calves cannot utilize vaccinations until they are around 4 months of age - that is the whole point of colostrum and passive antibodies. To vaccinate sooner is a waste of time and money. As far as what to vaccinate for, that is going to depend on your area, what is a problem there, and what your plans are for him. You probably want to talk to your vet about that.

3. Should I give ProBios as a precaution or is this only if they are sick and on antibiotics?

No, Probios is not needed unless the calf is sick or has been given large doses of antibiotics for several days. .

4. When should I band him? I want to make sure he is strong enough to handle it.

You can band him at any time. You don't mention the age of the calf, but since he is a bottle calf and penned I believe I would go ahead and give him a Tetanus anti-toxin shot, just to be on the safe side. Be aware that there are two Tetanus shots available - Tetanus Toxoid which takes about 10 days for immunity to build up, and Tetanus Anti-toxin which provides apprx 2 weeks of tetanus immunity. You might want to discuss which to use with your vet, as well.

5. When do you wean him? I know that he needs to be eating a certain amount of grain first but is there a minimum amount of time or milk that he needs?

When I weaned bottle calves was done based on the individual calf, their progress, and how well they were eating solid food. Once he is eating 2-3 lbs of starter a day, you are usually safe in cutting back the bottles and starting the weaning process. I normally did not wean cold-turkey - I just cut the bottle by a pint every other day. I also did not wean at 8 weeks, as is usually prescribed. I feel that 8 weeks is too soon and usually waited until they were at least 3 months old, but it is your call.

I would really be interested in what you do personally. Thanks :tiphat:

I just recently bought a semmi/holstein hiefer. She came to me at 3 days. She is two months old now and she gets 5pts. of milk in the morning and at night. She gets a pound and a half of medicated blueseal calf starter, monrning and night as well. you will have to hand feed them grain to start. once they realize they like it they will eat it by themselves. She is with a 3 month old holstein steer and together they eat about 4 flakes of good grass hay a day. I weaned the holstein steer at 2 months but i am planning on keeping the heifer on milk until 3 months or so because she is smaller and beef breeds with their mothers arn't weaned until about 5 months. Thats my thinking i hope it helps. It would be interesting to trade pics, problems, and triumphs seince both of our calves are simmilar ages. Good luck! And remember to have fun.

SCRUBS620...which salebarn if you don't mind me asking? I go to some in Indiana and I was just wondering if I may have met you at one.

FarmGirl10":cwol81eg said:
SCRUBS620...which salebarn if you don't mind me asking? I go to some in Indiana and I was just wondering if I may have met you at one.

I bought this one at Brookville (Whites auction on Wed afternoons). I also go to the Amity (Johnson county on Tues Evening) auction and the Knightstown (Sat) auction on occasion. Where is the one you go to located? I am always on the lookout for new places.

Latest posts