DSC03208.jpg

Pictures taken the end of April, at about 1 month old
9calf6.jpg

9calf4.jpg

At about 10 days old
9calfrearb.jpg

Newborn
9calf.jpg

She is a nice calf. The problem is however, too much muscle. She will get docked at the sale barn. She will not fit in with any other calves. We may keep her for butchering, and see just how she finishes out.

The nice thing about a little lady like that is that you can breed her to any Funnel butt bull and still get good results. Finally a reason to own a good funnel butt. All kidding aside I would love to have 20 just like her. We have bread to get rears half that good and only come up with a 1/4. Nice job and what is her breeding.

randiliana":c0z3gjb5 said:
She is a nice calf. The problem is however, too much muscle. She will get docked at the sale barn. She will not fit in with any other calves. We may keep her for butchering, and see just how she finishes out.

If this calf has too much muscle for your buyers, you are selling to the wrong buyers!

I wouldn't put her in the double muscled category. Even those get a premium in the right market.

If it were me, I would be working to have a whole crop of calves with this condition!

MikeC":3lnckdj2 said:
If this calf has too much muscle for your buyers, you are selling to the wrong buyers!

bingo!

atcjets, She is out of a Red Angus x Hereford cow and a Black Angus bull. I know which cow is her mama, but not which bull is her sire as the cow was bred in the community pasture.

MikeC, As for being in the wrong market, I don't know where this type of animal would sell well. And, it really isn't worth it to have to haul cattle for several hours to find the "right" market.

I agree, the muscling is great, but, she is too fine boned for that amount of muscling, and I suspect that she would break down long before old age due to weight. She has more muscle than I have seen in any breed I have worked with including Limousin. And to me it certainly looks like double muscling. She looks a lot like a Belgian Blue (muscle wise).

I googled up a lot of pics of double muscleing. I don,t see it.
What I see is someone that got away from the bottle butt that has been discused before. My compliments to the breeder in makeing the right choices.

Susie David":3jr3mebl said:
Nice calf....sure looks like some Limousin in that rear end. Dmc

The thing is though, it is not just the rear end. She is muscled like that through her whole body. If it was just hip it would be one thing, but it is all the way through her back, shoulders and neck as well.

9calf4.jpg

i thought at first she was'nt double muscled. just well muscled and still may be . but dang if she don't look it more and more. there was something in the wood pile somewhere back down the road ;-)

Talk Show Mod":9mfz2kaq said:
How about posting a picture of the dam, and the possible sires. A very interesting calf.

Well, I can give you the dam and even her 1/2 sister, but I can only give you 1 out of 5 of her possible sires, because we only own 1 of them.

Her dam,
9pair.jpg

Her 1/2 sister(same dam) as a 2 year old
27cow.jpg

as a yearling
9heiferb.jpg

Possible sire
2046Pb.jpg

ALACOWMAN":2llm5qzc said:
i thought at first she was'nt double muscled. just well muscled and still may be . but dang if she don't look it more and more. there was something in the wood pile somewhere back down the road ;-)

Definitely something there. I know I have never seen an Angus that well muscled regardless of whether it is double muscling. But, we are already pretty sure that someone had a bull down there that had something else hiding there. After all, we got this calf, also got a red one with a star on his face and to top it off horns as well :shock: And these were supposed to be registered bulls down there.

I would have guessed her sire to be that SimAngus looking bull from your post titled "The Neighbor's Bull". But if you're absolutely certain that he wasn't in the adjoining pasture last year ........ ? But she sure is a dang good looking calf, whoever her pappy is.