blue heeler

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":1r9p6wsb said:
How the heck do you not own him already?????

Lol good question.. I have 34 dogs now and probably gonna sell some then maybe I can get one then but right now I'm bust in at the seams with dogs :D

We take in stray cats and dogs. And I don't like cats, but there's 5 here. We're down to 3 dogs and one's a puppy, patch just showed up about 1 month ago. I want a heeler but I haven't bought a dog in my lifetime yet. So it might be awhile before one comes along. How the heck can you train and care for :bs: 34 dogs??

I had blue heeler once. Smartest animal I ever saw. He could adjust the heat in the truck in the winter. He took it upon himself to become the neighbors house dog. I never forgave him for that, and have consequently never had another dog.

dieselbeef":28vdob0a said:
buy a dog..that makes little sense to me...

I agree. I have paid an adoption fee before. If your looking for a pure breed there are several pet finder websites and specific breed rescues most will have a small fee for adoption. Best dog I ever owned was a full blood Chesapeake Bay retriever adopted from the humane society for 75.00 I was her 4th owner because none of the others could handle her needs as she was very high strung. I rescued a lab last year that came from a puppy mill she is a sweet dog but very fertile and our Australian Sheppard got to her before I could get her fixed and she had a litter of puppies. I kept one puppy and he is going to make a fine cow/ bird hunting dog. He has both instincts in him

highgrit":gzzgibce said:
We take in stray cats and dogs. And I don't like cats, but there's 5 here. We're down to 3 dogs and one's a puppy, patch just showed up about 1 month ago. I want a heeler but I haven't bought a dog in my lifetime yet. So it might be awhile before one comes along. How the heck can you train and care for :bs: 34 dogs??

high im afraid no :bs: here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=82411&hilit=got+hounds%3F but i will tell you how i do it. I have 3 sets of working dogs deer dogs coon dogs and rabbit dogs. I typically will buy dogs that are already broke which eliminates training from scratch if I do have puppies I either sell them or keep just a few with the deer dogs its easy especially when there are a ton behind your house. I often though take them to one of the break pens around here and let them stay for a month with some other adult dogs of mine that are trained is most often what i do. After the deer hounds are trained i just put the gps collars or tracking collars on them and turn them out at night and just let them run and find there deer to run they come back home within 2 days or if i want i can go find them bring them home. the coon and rabbit dogs I have a break pen/exercise training pen thats about 1.5 acres that have rabbits in there for the rabbit dogs to run all day if they choose while im at work i dont need to be there as they cant get out. I catch coons in a trap and allow the dogs to run the coon in the pen same as i do the rabbits. as for caring for my dogs I take very good care of them I clean the pens every other day by power washing the concrete floors I have no dirt pens fresh water every morning and automatic feeders for them its pricey and time consuming but I like my dogs. There are older guys that have 70-80 dogs in my area hounds are big around here im a small fry. I will spend some time training a deer dog from scratch sometimes but rabbit dogs and coon dogs no its too time consuming. My wife and I almost split cause I was spending more time with the dogs and away at trials then I was at home. No bs here high I take dogs and dog hunting serious.

my blue was a female..real smart..real good guard dog..mustve been bred with a gopher tho..that dog completely turned my entire yard. so many holes it looked like a bombing range..we finally had to give her to a rescue. just couldnt break her and i wont have a dog in a cage

dieselbeef":65fy297s said:
my blue was a female..real smart..real good guard dog..mustve been bred with a gopher tho..that dog completely turned my entire yard. so many holes it looked like a bombing range..we finally had to give her to a rescue. just couldnt break her and i wont have a dog in a cage

diesel a good shock collar will break any dog of bad behavior. I had a dog that would always jump on other dogs and try to be the pen boss. I gave him some good doses of electric cure to this day he has never growled at another dog that I have ever heard. I will first tone them with the collar its just a sound and yell NO NO NO a couple of times if they proceed I will turn the shock to lowest setting 1 it gets there attention if they continue they get 6 wide open for about 30 seconds first time 2nd time full minute never really have anymore problems after 2nd time

the hting is ya gotta catch em..she did it whe we werent around..mad cuz we went to work i guess...
i use shock collars. mostly for containment tho

diesel you are right you do have to be there to catch them so they know what you are shocking them for. I have never used the containment system is it a pain to install and keep running without problems?

it works great cept for when the cows chew the wires...once they get a taste of that collar they stay 10 ft inside that fence.

dieselbeef":ylnwecu9 said:
it works great cept for when the cows chew the wires...once they get a taste of that collar they stay 10 ft inside that fence.

Actually they don't work all that great. I sold a lab bych to a guy who put one around his yard(1/2 acre) she loved to go out and greet people walking by and would hit the fence at a dead run. She would run through the shock on the way out and then wouldn't walk thru it on the way back. He would have to turn it off and drag her back in every time.

thats true 3way..if they charge it..but if they had trained that dog by walking it up to it and lettin em get a taste of that shock..they wont even approach it. ive had a few dogs and once they know where it is they wont charge it...
my lab will figure out it isnt working tho if its off for a cpl days and i dont get to it...

3waycross":1qd09pb7 said:
dieselbeef":1qd09pb7 said:

Actually they don't work all that great. I sold a lab bych to a guy who put one around his yard(1/2 acre) she loved to go out and greet people walking by and would hit the fence at a dead run. She would run through the shock on the way out and then wouldn't walk thru it on the way back. He would have to turn it off and drag her back in every time.

That would be my luck lol

That's the cutest pudgy lil heeler I've seen in a LONG time!! I've had about a half-dozen or so in the past 35 years. LOVE those dogs; smart, stubborn and so much energy to work and play! I only have one left now and she's deaf as a post, blind as a bat, and dang near 20 years old.... (dreading the day)

1 wire for the cows and 1 for the dog I guess!... we haven't had a dog in 18 years.. Had a blue heeler I quite likes, and if I were to get another dog some day, it would probably be a blue heeler or a Bernese... I have to keep away from Bernese pups because they are far too much like teddy bears... I don't think a person in the world has seen a Bernese pup and not gone home with it.

I'm looking for a shock collar for cows to break some bad habits... need an industrial strength one