Blowing Snot

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a yearling heifer that has a nasal discharge. She blows it occasionally, but she seems to feel really well. She bucks, eats feed like she is starving. And she is such an easy keeper and gaining all the time. She is bright eyed and bushy tailed and I see that this is not causing any problem, but am keeping a close eye on her. It will be no problem to catch her, but I don't want to stress her out if she is not feeling bad. At what point do you vaccinate under these conditions. Chuckie

Vaccinate or treat?
A little bit of the snots shouldn't keep from normal vaccination.
Treating for the snots just doesn't make much sense to me. If it's a virus you won't help it, if it's not she will probably fight it off by herself. If she starts acting diffferent, for her, thens the time to consider treatment.

dun

Is it clear discharge or yellow/green thick discharge? Some cattle will do this with dusty feed/hay/dirt - ???? dirt (I must be kidding - MUDDDD!!)
Anyway, if it's a thick yellow/green discharge, and you are worried, you can give her a Nasalgen or TSV-2 dose. This is a VACCINATION for IBR & PI3 which is squirted into the nostrals. We do this with our showcattle. What it does, is stimulate the immune system so that her own system fights off whats bothering her. We do not TREAT unless they are "off" feed or running a temp.

Jeanne, I'm in the same shape you are on the mud. Over four inches since January 1st. I wish I had a ten acre pond that needed to be filled with water! :lol: Her discharge is clear to white. Mostly clear. She cleans it off about the same time she lets it rip. I will just continue to keep an eye on her. I agree the nose spray would be the best way to go if she does need treatment. Chuckie

Latest posts