Bloody cow nose means ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a slow cow that is loosing weight fast. She calved successfully 3 weeks ago.
Only obvious sign is some small spots of blood on her nose. Any tips here?

small spots of blood possibly may be as simple as getting a stick rammed up the nose, or some how she got a hard whack on the head. Cows do butt head from time to time, and after calving she might be "on the peck" and fighting more than normal.
What kind of cow is she? If she is of heavy dairy milking lines they often do lose weight after calving. If you figure she isn't right somehow, maybe a talk with your vet might be in order, as the symptoms you mentioned are pretty general..

Steve, the vet is saying "I have no clue, lets cover the bases". My concern would be the weight loss, as said, it's hard to say where the blood came from. how old? better to ship than be dead on the place ..... But you may have antibiotics on board, so you're between a rock and a hard place. Good luck, I would like to know what happens.

Alan

She is a strange one.
We treated her as directed and killed a few flies in the process.
Now she (Cleo) goes out of her way to avoid the herd. Just lays on the far side of the paddock by herself. If the herd moves towards her then she moves away.

Look up her nose to make sure she doesn't have a stick or something else stuck up there. You'd be surprised what get's stuck up in there sometimes.

Cow and calf hanging in there but still avoiding the herd.
Nose seems ok now but you can see a bulge on her lower left just above the front quarter...
What do you think ?

Stocker Steve":2jfb1iao said:
Cow and calf hanging in there but still avoiding the herd.
Nose seems ok now but you can see a bulge on her lower left just above the front quarter...
What do you think ?

Hernia?

The physical signs (blood on nose and bump on front quarter) paired with avoiding herd and just had a calf, could mean she is having to sort out some herd social structure and in the process got into some battles. After having a calf, I have noticed they have to resort their social place in the herd just like adding a new one. Some respond by just avoiding the conflict. The weight loss may be related to some post calving issues. The antibiotics and worming are a "good for what ails you approach".

Latest posts