Bloodhound

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Does anyone have a bloodhound as a outside dog ? My outside dog Australian shepherd (now Deceased) was raised outside and always stayed on the ranch close to home. Will a bloodhound stay close to home or will they Stray from home.? I have had hounds and they would go off hunting by them self's , Which was no problem because mY closest neighbor was miles away. Now my neighbors are half mile away and I do not want dog venturing off.

I had a bloodhound. I loved Blondie, but she was a handful. They get the scent of something and they will go through hell to find it.

They have ear problems too. Have to keep those big flappers clean. Plus they have a smell. My vet called it a hound smell. It would come back in a few hours after a bath.

I would not get another one.

That said, she had a big heart. Very sensitive dog. She would get her feelings hurt pretty easy if you spanked her or even yelled at her.

HDRider said:
I had a bloodhound. I loved Blondie, but she was a handful. They get the scent of something and they will go through be nice to find it.

They have ear problems too. Have to keep those big flappers clean. Plus they have a smell. My vet called it a hound smell. It would come back in a few hours after a bath.

I would not get another one.

That said, she had a big heart. Very sensitive dog. She would get her feelings hurt pretty easy if you spanked her or even yelled at her.

Guess it depends on the dog. I had one that was too lazy to do anything but lay around.
Except for the one time I went hunting (drove the truck not on foot) and when I came out of the stand that evening at dark he was laying beside the truck. That was about a 4-5 mile trail that I still don't know how he followed. But it's the truth.

cowboy43 said:
Does anyone have a bloodhound as a outside dog ? My outside dog Australian shepherd (now Deceased) was raised outside and always stayed on the ranch close to home. Will a bloodhound stay close to home or will they Stray from home.? I have had hounds and they would go off hunting by them self's , Which was no problem because mY closest neighbor was miles away. Now my neighbors are half mile away and I do not want dog venturing off.
I hunted hounds for years only messed with 1 Blood hound but I would bet they would roam. I also had several Australian Shepherds they were very good dogs but my son and his wife has one that is a full fledged idiot, needs a bullet, so it makes me wonder if they have not bred them up to much. I no longer run hounds but hunt Mountain Curs they are by far THE SMARTEST DOG I EVER OWNED. I would recommend one to anyone wanting a good dog that will be a close personal type dog none of mine bother the chickens or stock GREAT dogs and cheaper than a lot of breeds, most are natural tree dogs that will tree any tree climbing varmint that comes around the place. NOTE Black Mouths Curs and Catahoula Curs are not Mountain Curs

Never had bloodhound but I owned Bluetick, Redbone, Black and Tan, Treeing Walker and Beagle.
I have never seen a hound that won't roam and follow his nose.
Fiest and Cur dogs are better for staying close and a spayed female just doesn't roam IMO.
My personal preference is the terriers.
But they are not for everyone.

Latest posts