Blood running from nose

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
5 year old angus cows with blood running from her nose. i Had a little trouble with ibr a few years ago in this pasture, but this seems different. No symptoms other than bloody nose. Blood is thick/ mucusy, bright red. She is always trying to itch it on something, corner of concrete bunk seems to be her favorite. Any ideas?

None, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say. I had a cow with a perpetual bloody nose last summer (not as much blood as yours) but it was only on one side, looked like she had a little sore inside her nostril and she also scratched a lot. Cleared up in a couple weeks.

My last bull did the same thing, though I think it was only from one nostril. It would show up suddenly, and then quit just as quick. I finally attributed it to allergies, but that was just a guess. He acted fine, no other symptoms.

I had to catch a cow this summer and remove a stick from her nose. The scratching is probably causing the bleeding, but now you have to figure out the reason for the scratching.
Allergies is usually the cause. To what, who knows.

M.Magis":2nn7jvk1 said:
My last bull did the same thing, though I think it was only from one nostril. It would show up suddenly, and then quit just as quick. I finally attributed it to allergies, but that was just a guess. He acted fine, no other symptoms.
I had a bull that bled from a different location (horn) and it really made him aggressive..like he couldn't stand the smell of his own blood. He got really upset every time he passed by where he injured it a..against an oak tree and would snort, bellow and paw the ground for 5 or 10 minutes at a time.

I don't believe it's from something being stuck in her nose. She is bleeding from both nostrils. This morning she had no blood. It goes and comes

Couldn't a cow, be a bleeder, just like a horse. A pulmonary hemorrhage from exertion?

coming either from inside her head or lungs??
Saw a horse one time get spooked and she smacked her head on a fence post at a run..
She had blood coming from her nose-- actually from inside her head. A vet was called, but she died before he got there.. Had a brain injury...