blood moon eclipse starting at 1 am central time

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Sky watchers are getting ready for an evening of special viewing when a total lunar eclipse arrives early on the morning of Tuesday, April 15.
What's more, this begins a rare sequence of four total lunar eclipses expected over the next two years.
In Houston, you can look to the sky around 1 a.m. Central to see the start of the eclipse. By 2 a.m. there should be a full lunar eclipse that lasts just over an hour. Die-hard observers may want to stay out all night, but the best part of the show will be from about 2 a.m. till 4 a.m. Eastern time, or during the hours around midnight for west coast residents.
Some Christians see this series of so-called blood moons as linked to a biblical prophecy of the End Times.
A lunar eclipse occurs when the sun, Earth and moon line up so the Earth's shadow falls on the moon, darkening it.
"Eclipses are one of the few astronomical events that can easily be enjoyed with the naked eye," though a pair of binoculars brings it into even greater focus, said astronomy writer Gary Kronk.
As it begins, "the Earth's shadow will make a slow crawl across the moon's face, appearing as if there is an increasingly large 'bite' taken out of the moon," said Deborah Byrd with EarthSky.org, an online science magazine.
At first, the full moon will just appear to be a little darker than normal, "but eventually people will notice a much darker arc moving across the moon, with a distinct rusty reddish-brown color," said astronomer Gerald McKeegan at the Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland, Calif.
The bloody red color the moon takes on during an eclipse is caused by refraction of sunlight by the Earth's atmosphere.
"It is the same effect that you see when the sun turns reddish-orange at sunset, only in this case the refracted sunlight projects all the way to the moon," McKeegan said.
This eclipse also features an extra astronomical quirk. Mars will appear "as a fiery red 'star' next to the moon. Together red Mars and the red shadow on the moon's face should be a spectacular sight and an incredible photo opportunity," said Byrd.

It has begun here, with almost 1/4 of the moon gone. It is 1:15 local time (CST)
I can imagine the questions such an event would raise many centuries ago, before there was a scientific explanation of such an odd event...back even before people thought Helios drove his chariot of fire across the daytime sky, or Ra traveled the sky in his boat .

it's about 3/4 now.. doesn't look red from what I see.. I"m going to drive home and get out of the city lights, that might clear it up a bit

Here is isn;r.wasn;t a 100% full eclipse. You could still see the brightess at the very bottom. Neat though

Spectacular here--wish I had a camera that could capture it's image. 2:34 am, and just a tinge of yellow at the very lower periphery.
Full bright moon and only a few stars and some coyotes yelping not far away transitioned to a very dark sky full of stars, complete silence and a dull red moon. The bright red star to the right of the moon is Mars. May be the best one I've ever seen.

Putangitangi":1fyqqbzc said:
For us it's 7pm, but after months of drought, the sky is full of rainy clouds, so we can't see it!

That was an eclipse?
I saw a spectacular full moon rising, a little before 6pm, insulted myself for having left the camera sitting at home and seconds later it was swallowed up by cloud.

Not a very good pic. I set my alarm, snapped a picture and went back to bed. Wish the stars would have shown up, they were all out and bright.

I took a couple long exposure shots.. I'll try and upload one soon.. if I went over 10 seconds on the exposure the star would blur from it's motion, so I had to crank the ISO

Latest posts