Bloated?

Help Support CattleToday:

IGotMyWings

Reaction score
My two calves are looking bloated, but not acting like it...they are mobile, eating good when I take them feed, etc. I'm going to get some Therabloat but I don't have a drenching bottle. Would it be okay to use a regular bottle, or is the drencher a must have?

I've used an 8oz plastic water bottle to drench an animal when necessary.

They must not be too bad off -- you don't sound particularly worried or in a hurry.

Any way you can get it down them safely will work just fine.
Is good that you are handling it before they show distress.

milkmaid":u6v0ctp9 said:
They must not be too bad off -- you don't sound particularly worried or in a hurry.

Well, they act fine, they don't appear to be in any pain or discomfort, they eat good and are drinking plenty of water. They just have unusually large pooched out the side bellies and look like walking footballs.

TNMasterBeefProducer":hjl1ttaa said:
What is the feeding like? Do you feed say in the morning one day and the afternoon another day? I have seen calves where they eat in the morning one day and then the next day they dont get their feed until late in the day the next day after their little bellies have gone down. So this causes em to bulge back up again.

They are on rented pasture now (no longer chained in the barnlot like dogs!!!) that hasn't been used all season. I take them "sweet feed" (Rural King all stock sweet feed 14% protein) every other day late in the afternoon.

IGotMyWings":312mhf1k said:
milkmaid":312mhf1k said:

Well, they act fine, they don't appear to be in any pain or discomfort, they eat good and are drinking plenty of water. They just have unusually large pooched out the side bellies and look like walking footballs.

I just put my girls in a fresh pasture and when they come back to the barn every evening, each and every one of them look like walking footballs. Walking slow, heading to the water tank, and ready to chew the cud. Sounds like your case is like mine.... not bloat, just a very full belly and that's good.

Belly full = happy cow! :banana:

grannysoo":3sks4o05 said:
IGotMyWings":3sks4o05 said:
milkmaid":3sks4o05 said:

I just put my girls in a fresh pasture and when they come back to the barn every evening, each and every one of them look like walking footballs. Walking slow, heading to the water tank, and ready to chew the cud. Sounds like your case is like mine.... not bloat, just a very full belly and that's good.

Belly full = happy cow! :banana:

So would giving them Therabloat would be a waste, then?

Here's a couple of pics so you can see what I am looking at...

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Like I said, they act fine, and as you can see, they have healthy appetites, but they look like they're about to explode! Lemme know what you think.

I agree not bloat. My best advise is to make sure they have some hay if you are feeding a daily feed.
If your cows are bloated a tell tell sign is their left side will look huge. If you do not have time for meds or have them on hand. Start walking them for a while, more than 20-30 min. Cattle can die from bloat.

Latest posts