Bloated Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Kate

Reaction score
We have a 5 month old bull calf that looks bloated on right and left side. Not eating grass but nurses his mother. What can I do for this and why is this happening? Thank you for any info. :(

He's 5 months old and not eating grass? Do you have him/them on a dry lot? Are you feeding hay, or what?

He and his mother is on open pasture with other cattle. No hay, pastures are still green here. When he is not nursing he just stands around. I have never seen him eat grass. Thought I might try and offer him sweet feed but then again thought this may make him bloat even worse. Open for any suggestions. Thanks.

OK. If he's on pasture he's likely eating forage. Do you have much clover in the grass, even just patches of the low growing clover? Is the bloated look a recent thing, or has he always looked like that?

Bermuda grass mostly, not a lot of clover. He has always looked that way. He was a big calf when born, we had to pull him. He has always looked a little bloated but now that he has some age on him he is really bloated and looks like he is malnutrition everywhere else except his stomach.

From your latest description it sound like he's pot gutted. That's either worms or not enough nutrition from the cow up to this point.

I don't think pot gutted. Have had one of those but this is quite different. This little fellow is bloated on both sides like he swallowed a balloon and is really tight.
Yes he has a anus too but thanks to both of your comments.
I'm beginning to think he was born with some kind of blockage or something.

Kate":25tak81v said:
Another thing I noticed that may be the problem, he has no cud. Could this be the problem?
Yup. In the old days we would steal a cud (really tough on fingers and hands) and feed it to the one that didn't have a cud (almost as hard on fingers and hands). Now they have probiotic pastes you can give them that will get the rumen flora working.

dun":2tfb5p1s said:
Kate":2tfb5p1s said:
Another thing I noticed that may be the problem, he has no cud. Could this be the problem?
Yup. In the old days we would steal a cud (really tough on fingers and hands) and feed it to the one that didn't have a cud (almost as hard on fingers and hands). Now they have probiotic pastes you can give them that will get the rumen flora working.

I think dun hit it on the head. Not enough nutrition from the momma cow, and you should probably give him some probiotic paste, and see what he does. At 5 months old, he should be grazing and sucking.