bloat stopper

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":2ck508um said:
The biggest problem I can see with this remedy is the average cow is not halter broke so how can you walk them?

I've always wondered about the walking method also, but if they run away when they see you pull out a big knife or the trocar then that should help relieve the bloat.

swede":2sxucma7 said:
i've used a 5 ft. hose that u stick down the cows throat: then pour some vegtable oil down the hose to prevent more bloting:but make sure that the hose is in the stomach and not the lungs, if its in the rumen you will know cause it smells

my approach for bloating cattle problem is by giving them either a very thick lemongrass juice mixed with vege oil OR if it doesnt work will give them 3 litres of COKE ...( not that DIET COKE please)

swede":3skau02j said:
i've used a 5 ft. hose that u stick down the cows throat: then pour some vegtable oil down the hose to prevent more bloting:but make sure that the hose is in the stomach and not the lungs, if its in the rumen you will know cause it smells

8" PVC pipe (1" is perfect),
5/8" inner diameter tubing - soft and pliable

Put the animal in the squeeze, head catch... whatever, put PVC pipe in the mouth, insert the 5/8" diameter tubing down the throat through the PVC pipe, stay plumb AWAY from the end of the tube when inserting because the liquid contents tends to escape with the gas and is NOT, I repeat NOT zesty to get in your face.

PVC pipe keeps the animal from chewing the tubing up.

You can then put vegetable oil or mineral oil down the tubing via syringe to keep the animal from frothing back up if needed.

DavisBeefmasters":1bvpkysv said:
swede":1bvpkysv said:

8" PVC pipe (1" is perfect),
5/8" inner diameter tubing - soft and pliable

Put the animal in the squeeze, head catch... whatever, put PVC pipe in the mouth, insert the 5/8" diameter tubing down the throat through the PVC pipe, stay plumb AWAY from the end of the tube when inserting because the liquid contents tends to escape with the gas and is NOT, I repeat NOT zesty to get in your face.

PVC pipe keeps the animal from chewing the tubing up.

You can then put vegetable oil or mineral oil down the tubing via syringe to keep the animal from frothing back up if needed.
I'll add, dont smoke when the hose hits the rumen. Surprising how explosive methane is when it comes out.

Any good detergent for frothy bloat will work wonders. Got to disolve the bubbles. Cupand 1/2 of soap and quart of warm water. One other thing that works well for us is raw linseed oil and warm water. Run a hose down their throat and use a stomach pump to administer the liquid. Learn a lot about bloat if you feed a lot of barley and or wheat. Also sometimes with a real dry bloat just run about 1 inch hoe down into stomach and the gas will whizz right off.

Latest posts