BLOAT? never had a case like this.

Help Support CattleToday:

x807

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 3 month old bull calf that was put out in the field with his mom about 2 weeks ago (NOTE: field still has no new grass growth) He does have access to the round bale feeder and creep feeder (with limited grain to feed the 2 calves out there, not overly full to avoid over feeding). I noticed on friday night the mother was blatting and the calf was hanging out in the creep feeder (no grain was in there at this time). I pushed the calf out and he went to nurse her overly big bag. Saturday they were all laying down back, they all came up for grain and he stayed laying down. We went down back and he got up and looked bloated on his left side it was more full and round then his right. We was moving at a slow pace and no interest in feed, we got him caught (very easily) and treated him the some BloatX. Sunday morning he still looked bloated (fuller on his left side) he was standing up with the other cows. Sunday night we gave him another dose of bloat x and this time he was a HANDFUL to catch! Running full, kicking his feet, moving quite well and so on. We did get him caught to treat him. today he was still looking the same but up and moving right in with the rest of the cows.

Could this really still be bloat? (his temperment seems normal, he is pooping, peeing, running with the other calf, drinking, etc) Any ideas? :???: :???:

I would cut back on the grain, or even stop it and watch. See if his belly goes down and how he is acting. It could be a number of things making him off.

When did you start the grain? He might just be getting too much.

Our rule of thumb is: if they are doing good enough to make us work to catch them, they probably aren't sick enough to need treating. But as always, go with your gut.

I've noticed him always sticking his head in his mom's feed tub at feeding but he has only had access to the individual creep feed for the past 2 weeks. The hay is in a round bale feeder so it's pretty much a constant supply of dry 1st cutting mixed grass hay.

And I agree wi th you about treatment if you have to chase them to treat! The only reason concerned was raised is he was a pretty active upfront calf and he's now more dopey and quiet.

Latest posts