Bloat from Oats and Turnips

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Guys,

I've got a yearling heifer that looks like she might float off. Here's the background. I gave them a small strip of oats and turnips after being on straight pasture. They have stemmy hay that they are eating as well as mineral with Poloxalene. I have not given them a fresh strip for 2 days. I have seen her chew cud and it also looks like she has had fresh crap on the other end. She does look uncomfortable and has quite a waddle. Do I need to take the pressure off? Never had one stay bloated this long.

Not unless shes gets down and lays out, with laboured breathing. If she's still up and getting around they are usually ok, but uncomfortable.

They die very quick, so sounds like she will make it this time. Need to hook up the trailer before next time, or else pen her up till you sell.

Well, she still looked awful uncomfortable today and I didnt see any cud chewing so I couldnt just exercise benign neglect anymore. Glad I went with my gut. Turns out she had some kind of obstruction. My best guess is a turnip but maybe a stick or something. Never felt that before but when I pushed the line in it just hit a dead end way before the stomach and when I put a little pressure all of a sudden it gave and she deflated faster than a Tom Brady football. Gizmom, I had some bloat release ready so I poured it in and appreciate your thoughts on it. My guess is she didnt need it either way but since I had her tubed and she had been stressed for that long, I figured it couldnt hurt.

Before:

IMG_4335.JPG_zps1hsitzkn.jpeg

IMG_4341.JPG_zps3vea8c37.jpeg

After:

IMG_4346.JPG_zpsjxkpwz8k.jpeg

Good job! We had a friend plant turnips once the cows loved to eat the actual turnip root and he had one block up from the roots. Hopefully this is a one time thing. She sure had to uncomfortable.

gizmom

gizmom":qsu4hdey said:
Good job! We had a friend plant turnips once the cows loved to eat the actual turnip root and he had one block up from the roots. Hopefully this is a one time thing. She sure had to uncomfortable.

gizmom

Gizmom, I have seen lots of them pulling up the roots and eating them, and the nutrition is great on them. I had read that its possible for them to cause a blockage but should have known that if its possible, a cow will do it. As far as her being uncomfortable, I've never seen a bovine look so relieved as when I let her out of that chute. She wobbled for a few seconds and then she looked like she knew she had a new lease on life. As for me, I felt like a hero for about 30 seconds and then instantly began feeling awful for letting her suffer for that long when my gut told me something was wrong. I really am one to let things work themselves out and usually believe they actually work out better that way but I hate that sense of guilt when something that has been given to me to steward is suffering because of my poor husbandry. I'd like to say it wont ever happen again, but I'm sure it will. That being said, if I see one like her again, I will know.

Experience is the best teacher for sure, and I do understand waiting and thinking it will work itself out, been there done that and felt just as bad as you did. Keep an eye on her just in case she can't stay away from those roots.

Gizmom

We had one of our nicest heifers choke on a potato.. that sucked!

Glad you got her fixed up.. I have a cow that looks bloated when she's at a 'comfortable fill' level.. I've learned that's just the way she is