Bleeding Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Went back in the pasture this Am to look around. Had one of the wifes polled long horns show up with blood all aorund the tail head. At first it looked like she had been shot with a small cal. rifle. Got her in the shoot and it was an opneing the size of a 3/4 bolt. Tissue sticking outward like it was an exit wound. I had not noticed any abceses. Grainy, hard white tissue. Did not feel any fever. Cleanied the wound and let her go into a small trap to watch. Really not that bad of a wound. The bood ran to the switch and she swated flies and spread it. Any ideas?

Scotty

I could only stick my finger in 1/4 of an inch. Also it was right by the tail head. Would have been a straight down shot.

Scotty

Scotty":10a1onoz said:
Went back in the pasture this Am to look around. Had one of the wifes polled long horns show up with blood all aorund the tail head. At first it looked like she had been shot with a small cal. rifle. Got her in the shoot and it was an opneing the size of a 3/4 bolt. Tissue sticking outward like it was an exit wound. I had not noticed any abceses. Grainy, hard white tissue. Did not feel any fever. Cleanied the wound and let her go into a small trap to watch. Really not that bad of a wound. The bood ran to the switch and she swated flies and spread it. Any ideas?
Scotty

Any chance she might have been scratching on a tree and got a sharp pointed branch stuck in her? Pulling off the branch would explain the tissue sticking outwards. Just a guess.

Ant thing possible at this point. Really didn't seam to hurt her until I stepped in. DUH. Not around any pens or mechanicle devices. Maybe a Mesquite.

Scotty

Scotty":3pv23go0 said:
Ant thing possible at this point. Really didn't seam to hurt her until I stepped in. DUH. Not around any pens or mechanicle devices. Maybe a Mesquite.

Scotty

That was kind of what I was wondering, too. Cattle are notorious for scratching their backsides and it is my understanding that the mesquites can be somewhat sharp. No personal experience with mesquites, as they don't grow up here, only heresay.

Scotty":3k9n1hro said:

Scotty

Polled longhorn? I've learned something new today.

When my wife was a child she and her sister got a horse. It had a colt that ended up dying. MY FIL baught them both bottle babies to ease the hurt. MY wifes was a longhorn. Several generations later and using Angus bulls we have completly bred the horns off but no luck with the spots. They look like longhorns but are polled. I figure you can have a polled shorthorn whynot a polled longhorn. ;-)

Scotty