blackleg shots

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I have several fall and late fall calves born this year. What is the youngest that you have ever vaccinated for blackleg?

Read the label. Most/all vaccines will have the minimum acceptable age on the label. In my area, blackleg can be a major concern, so the cows are vaccinated every other year, and the calves are done at 12 weeks and 16 weeks if possible. (SQ) We don't usually do younger than this due to maternal antibody interference.

V

I vaccinate at three and five months. My father in law had some BL in the late 70's so we do it at those ages. The first for the protection and then at working time. We also give our cows one every year. This was just something a Vet suggested.

Scotty

carla":1yz6832k said:
I have several fall and late fall calves born this year. What is the youngest that you have ever vaccinated for blackleg?

The youngest that we have vaccinated for blackleg is about a week of age. We don't do that routinely, but we have the occasional calf born shortly before roundup (which we do twice yearly) and went ahead and vaccinated them, since their next opportunity would be about 6 months down the line. Haven't had any problem vaccinating at a young age. Can't swear as to the immunity conferred but wasn't detrimental.

My vet told me one time that more than likely it won't help befor 3 months. Then added that it could and antigens that BL can't hurt.

Scotty

Up til this year we blacklegged at about 3 months of age. We lost two calves this year to blackleg. One at 5 weeks, and one at six. We did them all when that happened, and haven't lost any more. We will now do it before 4 weeks.

Brad

I give them the blackleg shot at birth, then at weaning they another shot with a booster about 2 weks after that. I lost a couple two years ago in a wet pasture I rented, so I take no chances now, and I think it's one of the cheaper (inexpensive) vaccines also.

Latest posts