Black Vultures

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Been sitting on the porch all morning with a 22 mag keeping them off two newborns.
Man they seem really aggressive this spring.
Keep a close eye on your calf crop.

It's hard to believe how fast a buzzard can locate the afterbirth and new calf. I had them on the ground and the calf was still wet. But so far we've been lucky this year.

highgrit":1uhtz7l6 said:
It's hard to believe how fast a buzzard can locate the afterbirth and new calf. I had them on the ground and the calf was still wet. But so far we've been lucky this year.
Caught a possum in a live trap last week...shot him and threw him out on the ground. Probably was less than 30 minutes the SOB's had already picked up the smell of the blood and were circling and landing.

Had 3 born last night, when I got there this morning must have been 50 in the trees, dont know how they got there so quick, of course didnt have a thing with me. A buddy of mine had one fall out of a tree yesterday(heart attack) and right under the tractor tire,he felt bad about it.

They have moved in here in Middle GA in the last week or two. They fly over every morning checking the cows in both of our pastures. We know to be there prepared to save a newborn. We have several babies coming in the next few days in the low temps, rain, and now Mexican vultures ready to grab them. Looks like a no win situation.

They have been here in Southern Indiana all winter. I watched them this fall drive away the red headed buzzards from deer guts. I found a way to get them legally, leave the road kill on the side of the road just over a little rise, the people on my road use if for a super highway. The buzzards don't stand a chance with a 4-wheel drive truck driven by someone doing 60+ MPH.

They are persistent for sure unless one has a heart attack or stroke.
Then they will back off usually.
The old turkey buzzard is after the afterbirth. On top of being clumsy
and slow on the ground aren't aggressive. The Mexican Vulture will
run them plum off. Had a cow trample a calf few years back trying to defend the calf.
Bet there were 30 attacking from every angle when I discovered the ruckus.

Where can a person get one of the rocket powered nets that they use to trap ducks to band. That would be great to have one of those

hurleyjd":37v3g5ls said:
Where can a person get one of the rocket powered nets that they use to trap ducks to band. That would be great to have one of those

You can build a buzzard trap.
Just wouldn't want to get caught using one .

I don't think I've ever lost a calf to them, but years ago I had a heifer that was paralyzed after having a calf and couldn't fight them off. They didn't kill her; just started eating. I had to shoot her. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Caustic Burno":29ap0131 said:
hurleyjd":29ap0131 said:

You can build a buzzard trap.
Just wouldn't want to get caught using one .

You can get a permit to trap them. My sil just got a permit.

They seem to be taking over, in my part of Va. Its a rare thing now for me to see the standart red-necked turkey vulture. :(

Not long ago I was driving along Rte 33 when one of those nasty black buzzards committed suicide. It flew right smack n front of a vehicle going about 55 mph. ;)

Workinonit Farm":32dgbg5a said:
They seem to be taking over, in my part of Va. Its a rare thing now for me to see the standart red-necked turkey vulture. :(

Not long ago I was driving along Rte 33 when one of those nasty black buzzards committed suicide. It flew right smack n front of a vehicle going about 55 mph. ;)
How far did you have to drive off the pavement to assist him in the suicide?

I'm glad we don't have any around here. Our population of Turkey Buzzards isn't very thick either, at least not like it once was.

They aren't a problem here either. I don't know why as they seem to be on all sides of us. If they do come though we will have a welcoming committee to great them.
I don't think I've ever seen one but after all the post here ain't them I look at every buzzard.

I have had them come to the last two calves born. Just occasionally before then.
I wonder if their sense of smell is better than the turkey buzzard? The mexican buzzards will show up before the calf is licked dry.

Tim/South":3b06460x said:
I have had them come to the last two calves born. Just occasionally before then.
I wonder if their sense of smell is better than the turkey buzzard? The mexican buzzards will show up before the calf is licked dry.
Seems the old turkey buzzard smelled mostly for dead rotting meat. This mexican suckers come to fresh blood....and they come quick !!!!!