Black Leg

Help Support CattleToday:

Commanderbip

Reaction score
Hi, I have a heifer that I'm sure has Black Leg. She is walking lame front and back, a little off balance, her stomach is drawn up, and she is not feeling well at all. It took me awhile to get her chased out of some thick scrub oak which she did not want to leave. She was not vaccinated for it. She is caught and corraled now. My experience is to give massive doses of penicillin... 40-50cc for 3-5 days, but only if black leg is caught early, which I think I did. Any other suggestions would be helpful. I'll have to keep checking the rest of the herd to see if it continues to turn up. I'm located on Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Commanderbip":2qzexv0g said:
Hi, I have a heifer that I'm sure has Black Leg. She is walking lame front and back, a little off balance, her stomach is drawn up, and she is not feeling well at all. It took me awhile to get her chased out of some thick scrub oak which she did not want to leave. She was not vaccinated for it. She is caught and corraled now. My experience is to give massive doses of penicillin... 40-50cc for 3-5 days, but only if black leg is caught early, which I think I did. Any other suggestions would be helpful. I'll have to keep checking the rest of the herd to see if it continues to turn up. I'm located on Colorado Springs, Colorado.
dont check em ""vaccinate""...that something you can't check till its too late,,