Black Baldy Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
In my area I have not seen very many black baldy calves at the sale lately. I see mostly blacks and yellows/oranges. Is it just here or is it a trend? :eek:

Alacowman, my area is south Al. The reason I have been wondering is that I am considering a Hereford Bull with my Angus cows. I know that Baldies usually bring a good price but since I haven't seen many lately it made me wonder if they were still bringing good prices. It probably just happened to be light days for baldies my last few times at the sale barn.

Mosho":2ajr8495 said:
I know that Baldies usually bring a good price but since I haven't seen many lately it made me wonder if they were still bringing good prices. It probably just happened to be light days for baldies my last few times at the sale barn.
Black baldies still top most sales if they are the quality that the buyers are looking for.

Mosho":3aeer8vu said:
Alacowman, my area is south Al. The reason I have been wondering is that I am considering a Hereford Bull with my Angus cows. I know that Baldies usually bring a good price but since I haven't seen many lately it made me wonder if they were still bringing good prices. It probably just happened to be light days for baldies my last few times at the sale barn.

Mosho, come to the sale at noon today 10/14/06 at Dothan Livestock Auction and I gurantee you will see several today for sale.
Here is a link to some of their offering today.
http://www.dothanlivestock.com/replace_sale_pics.htm

They are still some of the highest selling in this area.

The baldies last week were the only thing that brought more than my Herefords for a given weight in beefers.

Thanks for your responses. It is good to hear that baldies are still tops. We have Angus based cows and are thinking about going with a Hereford bull next year. I know that a Charolais bull would give us growthier calves but I have seen pretty smokies get docked and that is what we would have.

There weren't a whole lot of black baldies at Cullman on Thursday. Blacks and reds dominated.

I only sat at the salebarn for an hour or so this morngin and was realy surprised at the prices, they seemed pretty low to me. There were 3 groups of heifers, one black group of 3, one red group of 5 and a pair of charolais, all within 10 lbs of each other for an average. To me the charolais were far better heifers then either of the other groups. The blacks and reds sold the same, the charolais were 6 bucks cwt less. There waqs one batch, 4-5 in the group of black baldys that looked like the black part came from Holstein, absolutely no butt at all. They were 4 bucks cwt over the solid reds and blacks. It's alwasy an eye opener when you don;t go to the sale but once or twice a year.

dun

dun":265yr0a7 said:
I only sat at the salebarn for an hour or so this morngin and was realy surprised at the prices, It's alwasy an eye opener when you don;t go to the sale but once or twice a year.
dun

Your kidding right?? :?

Mosho":2iw8r89y said:
In my area I have not seen very many black baldy calves at the sale lately. I see mostly blacks and yellows/oranges. Is it just here or is it a trend? :eek:

We've picked up quite a few baldies in the past few weeks, so I'm thinking it's just in your area.