Black Baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin

Reaction score
Neighbor took some calves to sale and if they hadn't seen it for themselves, I am not sure I'd believe it. The black baldies and any calf with a sign of white (any amount of white) were docked . What's going on here? It used to be baldies brought the most, why dock them?
Valerie

Were they docked or did they not bring as much,was everything equal,vacinations,weight,degree of finish,days weaned etc.If all things were equal it would be interesting to compare notes at harvest.

Wife goes to the sale barn every Tuesday. She said the same thing.
Any ideas?

vclavin":1lhhc4rv said:
Neighbor took some calves to sale and if they hadn't seen it for themselves, I am not sure I'd believe it. The black baldies and any calf with a sign of white (any amount of white) were docked . What's going on here? It used to be baldies brought the most, why dock them?
Valerie
Did you happen to see these calves Valerie?? A true black baldie should have no other white anywhere but on the face.
Sometimes you see white just above the hooves or on the tail switch which would indicate maybe some holstien influence???
These calves would get docked some if that is the case.

I don't know a thing about your market......

but every buyers dream is to buy cattle as low as possible. they are not there to pay the prevailing price. they are there to make money.

if there were not two bidders there who wanted the cattle then the single bidder gets his dream come true.

there can be a down side to the auction market.

I did not personally see the calves. Neighbor and his son were there. His son hauls cattle to the sales and it confused him too. I don't think it was just the baldies, it was everything that had any white anywhere on them.
Valerie

We've been seeing that around here for a long time. I get blasted for being ignorant every time I bring it up. :D Around here baldies sell at a slight discount unless they are bred heifers bred back to a black bull in which case nobody can afford them.
The ones that really take a hit are the ones with a white stripe down the back. It's bad enough that the yard will split off anything with white on the back and sell them separatly from the blacks with just a white face from the same lot.
Sim-angus-ish baldies with a blaze face don't seem to be taking the same hit.

The Holstein x Herf bwf usually get sorted off for a big discount.
The white stripe down the back or white belt get sorted off for a really big discount.
A few guys bad mouth A x Herf bwf because "they may not grade as well".

Around here a good White Faced calf will top the market.
And you will not see many "good" heifer Baldies at the sale barn cause they are to easy to unload.
I have a standing order for high market steer price for whatever number of F1 hereford/angus heifers I will sell.

You ain't gonna see em at the barn most likely, why share the loot when all you have to do is call and they pick em up...

Just sayin

We sold our straight bred herfs mon at MCRS in Eldon @ the herf influenced sale, no discount per say just bonus for larger lots. unweaned/unworked got hammered
DFF

redfornow":2tnesi8k said:
And you will not see many "good" heifer Baldies at the sale barn cause they are to easy to unload.
I have a standing order for high market steer price for whatever number of F1 hereford/angus heifers I will sell.

You ain't gonna see em at the barn most likely, why share the loot when all you have to do is call and they pick em up...

Just sayin

Guru,

Where is around here?

redfornow":2a5jlyu1 said:

Just sayin

Guru,

Where is around here?

So if a cow has a black hide but with hereford markings as far as white face or any on the underline or back they get docked is that what everyone is saying?

My son took some calves to market this week and while he did not have any he discovered that the local market is now discounting baldies a couple of cents versus straight angus calves.

he was planning on AI breeding the bottom of his commercial angus herd to a local breeders good hereford bull to gain a heterosis boost and now is trying to to figure the economics.

I think it may be the front end of a new trend.
Not sure of all the reasons but a new trend never the less.
In Virginia we essentially have two market destinations....
the northern and central part of the state ship cattle to Pa and NY for finishing and slaughter
the southwestern part of the state sends cattle to the mid west.
the market my son was selling to was a northeast market.
Other folks here have reported this phenomenon in the mid west.
I think it in the not too distant future you are going to have to either be tied to a marketing chain or you are going to have to submit DNA profiles to avoid market discounts.

Latest posts