Black Angus bull calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

matkinfarms

Reaction score
Hello all. I just got a Black Angus bull calf that the owners say is 5 to 5 1/2 months old. From the looks he might way 300 pounds if. He was still on the bottle when I got him. Is this normal for him to way that much? Also whats the best way to get weight and get him big fast? Also to mention he is black and also has some red color to him.

Correct me if I am wrong (I am a beef person, not dairy) but a calf should NOT be on a bottle that long! I think bottle babies are kept on milk for 90 days. 300 pounds is really small for a 5 month old beef calf, IF he is truly a black Angus. Get that boy on some grain and hay and he will gain. Go to your local feed store and buy a beef grower grain to feed him.

Seems small... could he be black Angus/lowline or Angus/Jersey? (Jersey might explain coloring along with size?)

Jersey/Angus and Lowline/Jersey is actually surprisingly popular where I'm from. I hear Jersey actually are delicious, but they are even worse growers than other dairy steers and why they maybe cross them, for a little better growth. Many farmers that have straight Jersey bull calves usually practically give away their bull calves or worse because they take so long to grow.
I used to have dairy way back, that does seem long to be on the bottle.

I agree with FSR on how to get him to gain/grow. He probably needs more calories than what he's getting. Wonder if the color has to do with lacking mineral if it's not breed/cross.

Can you get some pictures up on here? With him next to something for scale?

hope you didn't give to much. the calf should have been started on grain to help him out that weight is a little lite he should have at least 150 more pounds

How much feed/hay to feed a day and how many times a day on the feed? I will try to put some pics up on here tomorrow. His brown color actually is more of a red on his legs. The I had him about 6 days and he put on 13 pounds. I only gave 300 for him. I been feeding him 2 flakes of Coastal, 2 scoops of this Bull Developer, a scoop of CottonSeed Hulls and I have a liquid feed out for him. Is that too much?

How big are your scoops? You should weigh the amounts of feed he gets then we will have a more accurate answer for you. I believe he should be getting more coastal though.

Latest posts