Black Angus Bull Calf Feeding program. Help!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

matkinfarms

Reaction score
I have a 5 1/2 month old Registered Black Angus Bull Calf. I need help on what to feed him that way I can use him for breeding.

How many pounds per day and of what kind of feed (such as corn, calf manna, bull and heifer developer, etc.) and how much hay? Should I give him square bales or stick a round one out there? There are so many choices at the feed store and am not sure what to do. This coming spring/summer I will be planting corn to save for feed.

I would start him out on a 12 to 14% protein feed with moderate energy levels at no more than 1% of his body weight and free choice grass hay. If you are feeding sack feed, a creep or grower feed will work. I use a 13% grower ration for heifers. You can gradually increase the feed to 2% of his body weight over a couple weeks. You just want him gaining 2 to 2.5 pounds a day. He should be 1/2" his mature weight by 15 months old. If the hay is good quality you could decrease the feed a bit. Feeding a round bale to one calf would probably require a place to keep it sheltered because it will take him a while to eat it all. If you can't give him access to it in a shelter I would use small square bales.

Latest posts