Biting Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
Is there any way to break an extremely territorial dog from biting people who come on the property?

Those terriorests in your avatar??? Not easy...check out Ceasar Malain(the dog whisperier)on national geographic channel..real good ,more for the "furry children"people,but some good advice

Thanks Dun. I knew that would probably be the answer but I surely hate to hear it. I have two that are biters but if they are away from home they love everybody. It is only when someone comes in the yard that they go crazy. :(
BTW, congratulations on becoming a mentor. I always enjoy your posts. You say what needs to be said in a kind manner.

No Peg, I'm not talking about those two. The ones I am referring to are the mother and sister of one in my avatar. :(

As harsh as it sounds, the lawsuit form someone being bitten would be a lot harsher.

dun

Train them with a shock collar. When they get up and or start barking, zap em. It only takes A few times. Better than A lawsuit. Best thing about it, the dogs dont know you are doing it.

as a former dog obedience class instructor

it sounds like these dogs think that their job is to protect your property and they don't see anything wrong with their behavior - (or they would be biting people when they weren't home)
you have got to inform them that you are boss and they don't have to protect the property to that extent
but in the meantime, you must control their behavior by having them under control - which means a leash or chain at all times when someone might arrive
you have to become boss of the dog pack and inform them that their behavior is wrong (notice I'm not saying beat the living daylights out of them - you can inform them with just a strong command and a light pop on a leash)

an obedience class might be a good place for you to start
most of the time when I was teaching the human needed the lesson and the dog was just along for the ride.

I was prepared to carry both dogs to the animal shelter to have them euthanized but I just can't do that to something that thinks it is protecting me. We have them on a chain and will buy shock collars. These dogs are medium size Rat Terriers (Mother and daughter). Both dogs have bit someone so I know it is past time to do something. We live in a very secluded area on 80 acres and have very few visitors but I know we have been negligent in not doing something before now. Thanks for all the good advice. If the chain and shock collars don't work, I will take Dun's advice with a well placed bullet.

be a shame--My son brought in the most missbegotten thing I ever saw-a rotwiler/pitbull/wolf hybred/chow :shock: told him to keep it off my place--then he gets a job in Colorado! Expects me to take care of it..Told him if it did anything,it was gone.. it'd get off the chain,grab the first thing it saw,animate or inanimante and shake it..It popped a 200lb test chain(weighed 40lb) killed one of my cats..I live near a school!!! Kids run and make funny noises. Had the thing put down that day! son came home,I never said a word.......

mdmdogs3":1utng0j4 said:
an obedience class might be a good place for you to start
most of the time when I was teaching the human needed the lesson and the dog was just along for the ride.

My wife used to teach puppy obedience and she always said this exact same thing.

I guess I'm just not getting it. If someone comes into the yard uninvited, and they see dogs that are going nuts, I mean, c'mon! A beware of dogs sign, I would think, should do the trick. Or, if it doesn't, can't you put the dogs up when you leave? And, if they do it while you are home, won't you hear them and go out and call them off...if you want to, that is.

What am I missing here? Cripes, don't have them euthanized! And, don't shoot them! The dogs are in your yard, right? They are behind a fence, right? It's not like they are pit bulls! They can inflict a bite...but they can't tear a leg off. Insurance companies won't insure a house that has pit bulls and rotties and chows, etc...but rat terriers? Whoa! Like I said, what am I missing here? I LOVE protective dogs...especially out in the country.

Surely I've missed something here...

Alice

Alice":1nm223gi said:
I guess I'm just not getting it. If someone comes into the yard uninvited, and they see dogs that are going nuts, I mean, c'mon! A beware of dogs sign, I would think, should do the trick. Or, if it doesn't, can't you put the dogs up when you leave? And, if they do it while you are home, won't you hear them and go out and call them off...if you want to, that is.

What am I missing here? Cripes, don't have them euthanized! And, don't shoot them! The dogs are in your yard, right? They are behind a fence, right? It's not like they are pit bulls! They can inflict a bite...but they can't tear a leg off. Insurance companies won't insure a house that has pit bulls and rotties and chows, etc...but rat terriers? Whoa! Like I said, what am I missing here? I LOVE protective dogs...especially out in the country.

Alice
Ever see a Rat Terrier rip up a possum, rat, or cat. Hate to have that done to my leg.

J. T.":3606mo5h said:
Alice":3606mo5h said:

Alice
Ever see a Rat Terrier rip up a possum, rat, or cat. Hate to have that done to my leg.

Well, no I haven't...and, quite frankly, the one time I was dog bitten it was buy a chihuahua whom I was told to leave alone unless I wanted to get bitten (I was about 8 years old at the time), and I still have the scar...no, it wasn't in the least bit pleasant...however, I know I must still be missing something if this happens in the owner's yard to an univited guest...

Alice

Alice":1jc95h0t said:
A beware of dogs sign, I would think, should do the trick. Or, if it doesn't, can't you put the dogs up when you leave? And, if they do it while you are home, won't you hear them and go out and call them off...if you want to, that is.

The dogs are in your yard, right? They are behind a fence, right? They can inflict a bite...but they can't tear a leg off. Insurance companies won't insure a house that has pit bulls and rotties and chows, etc...but rat terriers? Whoa! Like I said, what am I missing here? I LOVE protective dogs...especially out in the country.

Alice

I don't know about the poster's state, but where I live it doesn't matter if they are on my property or not - my dogs bite someone and I'm liable. Period, end of discussion.

Latest posts