Birth weight myth?

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
It seems to me that people are very divided on whether or not extra protein or extra hay effects the birthweight of a calve in heifers or cows. I cant find any scientific information that says protein or extra hay has a signifcant effect on birthweight . Does anyone have evidence or is it a myth?

Every bred is probably different. Do you think those 350# women had their 16 # babies naturally? Yes the pelvic bones spread, but they do not get any bigger. Feeding excessive protein WILL increase the size of the calf. Even if you get a live 100+ pound calf you'll probably end up with a prolapsed or paralyzed cow.

denoginnizer":1ts2i33t said:
It seems to me that people are very divided on whether or not extra protein or extra hay effects the birthweight of a calve in heifers or cows. I cant find any scientific information that says protein or extra hay has a signifcant effect on birthweight . Does anyone have evidence or is it a myth?

One of the problems is that this would be hard to prove one way or the other cause no one could know what the calf could weigh beforehand, with or without extra feed.

I DO know that cows who are overfattened can have calving problems due to fat buildup in the birth canal. Any amount of grass hay should be OK.

Just keep them in good shape, balance the ration, and you'll be fine.

There was someone in Montana that did research on this. They had a group of heifers that they were feeding. They gave the heifers very little protein. When the calves were born sure enough they were noticably smaller calves then were coming from a different group of heifers that were fed decent amounts of protein. The one thing that was noted was that the calves that came from protein-starved mothers were very weak and slow because of lack of muscle development while in the mother.

I have also read that a "High Fat" diet will help add vigor to the calves if fed pre-calving, without adding extreme pounds to the calf.

O.k.., here's where the book learning comes in I guess.

Several weeks back, an instructor brought in the bones of a cow (rear-pelvic area), assembled in place. He brought up a good point -the discussion was about EPD's and picking bulls- that the calf only had the space between the bones to come out. If it were too big for that space, too bad. Sure the calf could be pulled, or a c section done, but wouldn't we all rather just go out and see a nice healthy calf sucking on moma?

I say go with what got you there. If you have minerals, and sufficient feed(hay), why chance a problem with a increase in protein in the last portion of the cow carrying the calf? This is assuming your cows are in good condition already.

In cold weather more enrrgy is needed than what plain hay can provide. Protein isn't an issue in cold weather. Providing an adequate Energy source is an issue. Also it will give the cows the energy needed to have a heavier calf.

I had to say something, could not pass this up. Have fed protein tubs for years and go sometimes 4 or 5 years without touching anything and then it is usually only one. If I didn't feed a little protein here the cows wouldn't get any at all. Maybe some of you have a lot better soil than I. Soil test here are low on everthing. We have been using litter trying to get it built up currently waiting on this years test results.

Latest posts