Birth condition

Help Support CattleToday:

MarkA

Reaction score
I don't know the name for the affliction where a calf is born with the front feet turned under causing them to walk on their wrists or I would do a search for it. Usually I have one or two each year and the calf and cow require a little extra attention. One year, I made splints and it may have helped a little, but they were very crude and did not stay on well. This year I have one that seems to be a little worse than I have seen in previous years in one foot only. The other foot seems ok. But the afflicted foot just does not seem to have any strength when it is straightened out. I have not tried to splint it. The calf is four days old. I am counting on time being my friend but I am a little worried. Is there an effective splint that is made for this purpose that will stay on?

Search for "bumble foot"
Conventional wisdom is that if mess with splints etc it will be straightend out in 6 weeks if you leave it along it will take a month and a half. Usually it only takes a week maybe 2 for one that is real bad before you won;t be able to tell it ever had an issue

It'll straight'n up in a few days. When the beef business went wild on the size ,there was quite a few of these showed up usually a large calf and some old calving believed tha the calf was somehow doubled up in the cow those last few days before birth. Never did really know but seemed like a sensible therory. Got to go watch NFR .

Mark, do you give Selenium in the form of Muse or Bose to your cows and calves?
My cows get it twice per year and the calves get it as soon as they hit the ground.
As far as splints go, I have used them on foals quite successfully. I take fluffy cotton wrap and wrap the leg. Several layers for padding to prevent sores. I split a pvc pipe length wise (after cutting it the right length for the leg.) Now you have two pieces you put on the leg. One front and one back. Duck tape the splits together. Probably only leave it on for a couple of days. But that usually helps stretch out the tendon enough. Just be sure the calf can still get up and down ok.

Latest posts