Bio moss

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
My feed supplier really likes bio Moss, or actigen. Actigen is aore advanced version of biomoss.

He likes actigen in feed rations for herd health. No research, just observation.

Is there anything that indicates that bio Moss helps with feed digestion, rate of gain, etc...or is it just scours control which is what I feel it's only good for.

Thanks

Works great fed to poultry in confinement operations for intestinal health.
Improved rate of gain for chickens and turkeys, but not sure if that translates to beef production too. Even in poultry I think they say it works best when starting them out the first few weeks of their life. Of course meat production birds life spans are much shorter than cattle.
But would stand to reason healthy intestines would maintain or improve feed efficiency.

Seeing that it only acts as a pre-biotic, I wonder how it would compare when going up against a pro-biotic, in pre-ruminant calves?
In cows or feedlot animals I could see it being an alternative to using Ruminsin, or bovatec, but even then it wouldn't help prevent bad bugs from forming, I wouldn't think?

It's one of those deals, it might do that if feed at a high enough rate. Is the rate economically feasible? I trust my guy, but always heard of it as intestinal health type product.

Yes, the actigen product you use post weaning/weaning time like aureomycin. No research trials or anything. So he can't claim anything. Just bohemian science showing active calves that go to the bunk with good intakes, no snotty noses, etc.

It will do nothing for healthy unstressed animals except add cost. Fresh weaned calves or during calving season it could certainly help. It is not a replacement for rumensin. During that initial weaning phase it could help keep the cattle healthy resulting in better intake, efficiency and gain. But once they are healthy its advantage would go away.

cjmc said:
It will do nothing for healthy unstressed animals except add cost. Fresh weaned calves or during calving season it could certainly help. It is not a replacement for rumensin. During that initial weaning phase it could help keep the cattle healthy resulting in better intake, efficiency and gain. But once they are healthy its advantage would go away.
I can see that developing into his sales pitch. I didn't get that product though. Thanks

Latest posts