bill filed to award American Sniper nation's highest award

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/polit ... 41115.html

U.S. Rep. Roger Williams wants legendary Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle to get the recognition he believes he deserves.

That's why Williams, R-Austin, has filed a bill asking the president to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to Kyle, who was shot and killed at a shooting range at Rough Creek Lodge in 2013.

"Chris gave the ultimate sacrifice and served his nation with distinction and bravery while saving countless American lives," said Williams, whose district stretches from the edge of Tarrant County to Austin. "There is no doubt that this true American hero is worthy of our nation's highest military honor.

"While the Medal of Honor will not bring back a husband, father, son and a model Texan, we owe Chris Kyle and his family a great deal of gratitude for his relentless devotion to his country."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/polit ... rylink=cpy
I'm doubtful this will go very far. Seems if he was going to be seen by the MoH review board for this award, someone would have recommended him for it a long time ago--while he was still on active duty.

I can't help but feel this is only being done because of the book and movie. Nothing against Chris Kyle at all, he was a great American. But he did his job, probably better than anyone, but I don't know if he went above and beyond the call of duty. There are many, many, members in all branches of the military that are doing an awesome job and saving lives that we'll never know about them because they didn't write a book.

Could be a political move by the representative too.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm just trying to look at it objectively.

No, Chris--I agree to a great extent. It would not automatically "cheapen" the award if CPO Kyle was awarded the MoH, but if it was done thru Congressional act, based on his doing an outstanding job as a sniper it would. There is no doubt Kyle was great at his job, no doubt it carried great risk, but being great at what one does is in of itself, not a qualifier for receiving this particular award and honor.
And awarding it to him because of the book and movie raises some questions too.

In past decades, the MoH has been awarded to some who probably didn't deserve it. During the civil war, an entire regiment (over 800 men ech) was awarded it (in advance) IF they agreed to extend their enlistment for 2 weeks. Lincoln's burial guard was awarded it as well.***
The soldier who got combat aviation on it's feet was awarded it, as was Adm Byrd for his North Pole expedition.
Byrd's commendation reads:
Citation
For distinguishing himself conspicuously by courage and intrepidity at the risk of his life, in demonstrating that it is possible for aircraft to travel in continuous flight from a now inhabited portion of the earth over the North Pole and return

Charles Lindbergh got it for his solo flight accross the Atlantic--awarded By President Coolidge.

The standard set for the MoH changed in the early thru mid 20th century, and in the early 60s, a review and permanent standard was accepted and signed to law by JFK and the accepted "qualifier" sets the bar pretty high
In medals and awards, there is an order, and the 'top 4' have the same 3 parameters that have to be met.
For the Bronze star, the Silver star, the NavyCross/Army DSC/Air Force Cross, and MoH--3 identical things have to come into play, plus an additional "qualifier" and the "qualifier" is more specific the higher up you go.
Starting with the Bronze Star: (qualifiers underlined)
has distinguished, herself or himself by heroic or meritorious achievement:.
a) while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States;
(b) while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or
(c) while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

Silver Star:
Has distinguished himself for Gallantry in Action while:
(b) while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or
(c) while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

Navy Cross (Navy/USMC) or Distinguished Service Cross (US Army) :
Has distinguished himself for extraordinary heroism while:

Congressional Medal of Honor:
Has distinguished himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty,"

As you can see, the underlined wording makes a BIG distinction regarding the difference, even between the 2nd highest awards and the MoH.

From what I have read, CPO Kyle was involved in at least 2 events during the battle for Fallujah Iraq, within a few days of each other, that may have "qualified" him for MoH. http://www.military.com/special-operati ... niper.html
He was initially awarded Bronze Star with V (valor) for that and the Silver Star later.

Not for me to decide if he is deserving of the MoH--it's left up to whoever wrote the after action report and kicked it up to the review board, but evidently, at the time, someone that is supposed to know thought his heroic actions were not deserving of it.
I'd hate it to go to anyone just because of some political ploy by some congessman trying to draw attention to himself.
If up to me, all them boys over there would get it.

*** in 1917, a review board was formed and over 900 medals of honor were revoked.
http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/correct ... _army.html

ChrisB":6pkp9204 said:
I can't help but feel this is only being done because of the book and movie. Nothing against Chris Kyle at all, he was a great American. But he did his job, probably better than anyone, but I don't know if he went above and beyond the call of duty. There are many, many, members in all branches of the military that are doing an awesome job and saving lives that we'll never know about them because they didn't write a book.

Could be a political move by the representative too.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm just trying to look at it objectively.

Spot on target sir! If they do it shouldn't they also stamp one out for Carlos Hathcock. White Feather was the man who brought sniping to an artform in the American military . He also probably had more kills than anyone. Victor Charlie didn't leave bodies around to be counted if he could help it

Don't know how anyone could look at all this positively.

The Iraq war is the greatest tragedy in modern times. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. We destroyed their country, killing untold thousands of innocents, and can't figure out why they don't like us. Was reading that Saddam treated Christians pretty well, but after we took him out, they were persecuted and had to flee. From 2 million down to a few hundred thousand now.

Not to mention losing thousands of our soldiers, and many more thousands maimed and debilitated, or with mental problems. After lifetime care, it is said Iraq will cost us 6 trillion dollars. The goal of Osama bin Laden was to bankrupt us, and it is working. Just like he helped us bankrupt the Soviets when they were fighting in Afghanistan.

Not to mention Kyle wasn't that great of a guy. Among many lies, he lied about a fight with Jesse Ventura and a jury awarded Ventura 1.8 million. He also said he enjoyed killing and wished he could kill more. Don't know how you make him a hero when he loved killing people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9J0G1Unvoc

Greatest tragedy of modern times? That's a pretty high bar too.
Greater than the Rwandan genocide?
greater than the Jewish holocaust?
Greater than Rape of Nanking?
Greater than Stalin's purges?
Geater than the Kosovo genetic cleansing?
Greater than the Pol Pot Khmer Rouge massacres?
Wow. The worst tragedy since 1914......who knew?

djinwa":2oy3a5tl said:
D
Not to mention Kyle wasn't that great of a guy. Among many lies, he lied about a fight with Jesse Ventura and a jury awarded Ventura 1.8 million. He also said he enjoyed killing and wished he could kill more. Don't know how you make him a hero when he loved killing people.

Did Jesse wait until after Kyle was dead before filing suit?

djinwa":2mams6q5 said:
Don't know how anyone could look at all this positively.

The Iraq war is the greatest tragedy in modern times. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. We destroyed their country, killing untold thousands of innocents, and can't figure out why they don't like us. Was reading that Saddam treated Christians pretty well, but after we took him out, they were persecuted and had to flee. From 2 million down to a few hundred thousand now.

Not to mention losing thousands of our soldiers, and many more thousands maimed and debilitated, or with mental problems. After lifetime care, it is said Iraq will cost us 6 trillion dollars. The goal of Osama bin Laden was to bankrupt us, and it is working. Just like he helped us bankrupt the Soviets when they were fighting in Afghanistan.

He didn't love killing "people". He loved killing bad guys. The same ones, if here, would nail Americans. I would much rather get them there than have to hunt them down in the states. They don't like us? I'm thinking they appreciate us and our allies a whole lot right now with ISIS trying to take over their country.

MoH aside, Kyle was a hard core soldier as was Carlos. I'm proud of both.

TexasBred":280g9syg said:
Did Jesse wait until after Kyle was dead before filing suit?

If I remember correctly, the suit was filed before Kyle's death. Everyone figured when Kyle was killed that if Jesse had any class he would drop the lawsuit at that point. Or at the very least decline the money. But we know how that turned out.

Latest posts