Biggest cow ever!?

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl

Reaction score
I think that this cow was heavier than the 2,500 bulls that I have seen, for sure! Wish I would have weighed her.

Black and Good":36ewmkfq said:
My guess would be she's Baron (Freemartin). B&G

She might be barren for one reason or another, but freemartins tend to not have lots of muscle, and this animal has good hind muscle.

Didn't the sale barn give you a weight on the sale bill. How old is she in the pictures?

3waycross":wjuw2m4u said:
Didn't the sale barn give you a weight on the sale bill. How old is she in the pictures?

I did not take her to the sale barn. She died on the place. She was about 10 in the pic.

Looks not unlike the photos of many other fat ol' donor cows that are repeatedly flushed to produce embryos, and not producing/raising natural calves of their own.
I don't know how much is due to the influence of the hormones used to superovulate 'em, and how much is just due to the fact that they're on a high plane of nutrition - and not taxed by producing and feeding their own calf. Probably mostly the latter.

cow1.jpg

cow2.jpg

This was the cow that I posted about last year, when I first wrote to the forum for help. Obviously, I could not get her bred the last few years. She preg checked ok, then lost or absorbed it. Now I know most of you would have culled her long before! But she was a pet, and one of my best bred girls, so for me, she wasn't going anywhere!
She started acting sore footed or stiff in the back legs. I brought her in, and she went down. I gave her ATB's, had the vet out and he gave her more ATB's and Dex.. He drew blood. Nothing too bad, but some elevated Leukocytes. Thyroid was good, :roll: . He also had preg checked her to make sure she did not have a dead calf or something. (We had thought she was bred.) Anyway, after preg checking, she bleed out everywhere! She was in liver failure..... The vet consulted with a couple other vets, and because of the type of paralysis she eventually had, they felt that it was a Spinal Abscess. According to him, it is common for a bacteria from the gut to migrate and abscess there. I don't know, still sort of a mystery to me as to why she kept getting larger and larger! :roll:
Those of you that responded have some really good points. Thank you!

could she have had some sort of genetics for double muscling....like some of the belgian blue cattle do?

raykour":2hfztpom said:
could she have had some sort of genetics for double muscling....like some of the belgian blue cattle do?

That's a really good question! Never thought of that.....I will ask my vet about it in Brangus.
Thanks

highgrit":24kxj7mj said:
Missed one heck of a payday in my book. If you wait long enough they will all die.

Probably, but finding out what was wrong with her was more important to me.

branguscowgirl":v6436qll said:
raykour":v6436qll said:

That's a really good question! Never thought of that.....I will ask my vet about it in Brangus.
Thanks

naw she just had a big fat ass

Latest posts