Big Adventure Today

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
Went riding this afternoon with a buddy and everything was going good till we got off the horses to fix a fence. The old mare I was riding decided she had done enough, quit us, and went running off toward home with the other gelding in hot pursuit. The both headed towards some wood behind the house that is near the barn. We walked for a while trying to find them, made it back to the barn, and they weren't there... Circled back, walked some more. Still couldn't find them. Walked back to the barn, saddled up two more horses, rode for an hour more until we finally found them tangled up in a thicket, standing as still and quiet as church mice. I had walked within 50 feet of them twice before and they never moved or nickered. And they were all but camoflouged in the thicket.

Long story short, it sure made me feel for those old cowboys that would lose their horse on a big ranch. This may have been the only time that I was glad my place isn't any bigger than it is. Next time, I'll tie the old mare to a limb when I get off of her. Not taking that chance again.

I dog sled and that is the first rule never lose your dogs . If you sleep sleep in front so they run you over and can grab the sled . Always work in the front if the hook gets pulled you can grab the sled . Being sometimes over a hundred miles from home you never want to lose your ride and they do know how to get home .

Latest posts