Bez' Goes To Yuma

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Well, I am back from a trip to Yuma, Arizona.

I was recently interviewed in Ottawa for a position with a company called MMIST. They produce a cargo capable UAV (unmanned air vehicle) that is capable of re-supply and aerial monitoring. Because they are listed on the website – those who are interested can go here to see: http://www.mmist.ca

Seems they needed a beat up, old, retired fighter pilot who was reasonably capable of putting words into intelligible sentences, was willing to travel and was at least somewhat presentable in a public setting. So I threw my hat in the ring, and now I am part of the team.

It appears I will be in Yuma on a regular basis – at least for the next little while. I managed to fly my first mission on the Yuma Proving Grounds last Wednesday and quite enjoyed it. Lots of interesting tech stuff, but the flying is the fun part.

I am home for a couple of weeks now. The contract is with the U.S. Army and I will – for the next little while – be working out of Yuma as well as a few other places. It will be nice to have a little cash flow at the farm for a change instead of outflow. If cattle cannot support this place I suppose I will have to do it. Such is life.

Weaning calves today – wife has all the pens set up and hay / water available in the pens. So all I have to do is help sort. Bonus!

Oh, by the way – had our first roast out of that swing bag cow we killed. A little chewy, but still very good. Surprizing, because she was milking a couple of calves right up to slaughter day.

Gotta' run – best to all,

Bez'

Congratulations Bez'. Good to see the apostrophy people do good.

Hell I bet you learned to fly in a Camel biplane. That is WWI vintage for all you youngun's.
Congrats Bez really happy for you it is great to see good people do well.
May God Bless
Your friend
Caustic'

My Grandma always said that God will never give you more than you can handle. The Lord has alot of faith in good folk like you Bez. Congrats on the job. Glad you are enjoying yourself. From what I know, I'm sure you have left the farm in VERY capable hands. Wish I was closer so I could help her.

Congrats Bez...

I like that area and wish my folks would have retired to there instead of Desert Hot springs, CA as the weather is pretty much the same except the cost of living.

I appreciate the kind words.

Caustic - how in the name of heavens did you know I was THAT old? I was sure I had kept my ancient age fairly well hidden! 8)

Money is quite adequate and the chance to participate - even in a small way - in something that I believe in - is an opportunity that I could not pass up. I am honoured the company decided to give me the chance.

I have met some very fine young soldiers and we have shared some laughs over the media and some stories between us on various experiences. They all look so young now - my wife had to dig some pics of me out of the filing cabinet to prove I once looked like them. When I compare them to my present old, grey, fat and balding situation I still find it hard to believe I was once that young.

Sometimes fortune does smile upon those who need it. And believe me, this farm needed it!

This work could go on for years or end in a flash - so I will simply take each day as it comes and be thankful for what I receive.

Best to all,

Bez'

Bez'":1dx3hqnq said:
I appreciate the kind words.

Caustic - how in the name of heavens did you know I was THAT old? I was sure I had kept my ancient age fairly well hidden! 8)
With age comes wisdom. That puts you around 130 doesn't it? ;-)

Good for you Bez. Spent a lot of time there on the proving grounds myself. Was on the next pad from where they were testing the 16 inchers for the battle ships that they were activating for Viet Nam. You could hear those projectiles, as big as a VW, going down range, the dust all around would fly when they fired those guns.
I like Yuma, hot in the summer but nice in the winter. Dry heat anyway. The old prison is something to tour. The Beef and Beans resturant used to be good for a steak.
Worked on the fence there with the Customs Patrol, caught a lot of people coming through the fence near San Luis. Anyway, good luck, keep us posted. Not many cows around Yuma.
bk

Bez...One advantage is that you already speak the language, made alot of Canuck friends during the snow bird season. Spent time at MCAS off and on from the 60s to the 80s...some good muley hunting on YPG. Congrats on the assignment, wondering about the stick time in a UAV? Some nice flying weather all year...watch out for the ducks along the river.
Dave Mc

ctlbaron":fvypdpdj said:
Just remember, up is down when your upside down. Good luck Bez. :lol:

I used to teach students to fly the Hornet - I was a mud mover for many years.

One of the things I would jokingly say was:

Pull back on the stick to make the houses smaller and push forward to make them bigger - but never forget - when you are upside down it is the opposite!!

I am off to Yuma this coming Sunday for another kick at the cat - a couple of weeks in December and we will see wht the new year brings. Thanks to all for your good thoughts.

Bez'

Bez'":3tn0scby said:
I am off to Yuma this coming Sunday for another kick at the cat - a couple of weeks in December and we will see wht the new year brings. Thanks to all for your good thoughts.
Good luck, Bez. You'll be close enough now you don't have any excuse not to visit. ;-)

Texan":1n4jf6d7 said:
Bez'":1n4jf6d7 said:
Good luck, Bez. You'll be close enough now you don't have any excuse not to visit. ;-)

Check your PM

Bez'

Latest posts