better service

Help Support CattleToday:

dixie78

Reaction score
As a veterinarian I am constantly looking for better ways to serve my clients, being a new member here I was wondering if you would give me your input. What more would you like your vet to be doing for you to aid in your animals' health? New technology, procedures, etc. Thanks.

don't be afraid to offer advice. when we moved here from pa., didn't know about fescue & vet i had would treat some animals but never said what we should have done. had to find out for myself as usual. and don't always try to sell some new drug when a cheaper one will do the same thing. it doesn't impress anyone. we are just trying to make a living doing what we like. needless to say i wouldn't use that vet again for anything.

The best vet is the one that tells you when it is time to cut your losses. Sews up the prolaspe and tells you to haul her to the sale barn because she will do it again.

Don't do things just because the client asks for it. Our vet will always give you the economic justification for any procedure prior to undertaking it. For example a few yrs back I was having many health issues as it was severe drought & health issues had taken a toll in animal loses. I had a ~4 month old calf go down & I wanted him to see it & fix it - I nearly insisted. He said he could do nothing & to bring it to the state animal heath clinic to have a necropsy performer - result blackleg. I had an animal without an anus - thought that an operation would be justified to get a live calf that would later bring $600. He said he could do it, but that other health issues would arise & would recommend against it. So a valued vet is one that is not looking to make bucks but help his clients make informed decisions - I am thankful we such a person, despite the fact that he is an hour's drive away (there are some closer, but need I say more?).

Good answers so far. Always tell me the truth. Like Ruby said, if it's time to cut your losses, say so. If you don't know the answer to my question or problem, say so. Don't give me a lot of gas that doesn't help just to have an answer. It won't work for long. Always remember I did not go to veterinary school-If I ask you what time it is please don't start off telling me how to build a watch if a simpler answer will do. If I need more I can ask. If you are willing to hang in there and keep trying to help me, I'll be a lot more likely to call you first. We're lucky here-we still have several LA vets within 20-30 miles of us. Most of them are also friends. You sound like a good and conscientious vet we would all like to have more of and keep in large animal practice. I will expect a lot of you- so to turn the tables- What do you wish your clients would do to help you that maybe they don't do now?

The most important thing is to respect the people. This is what makes it all work. Yes, you will get a few jerks. But over time you will get respect and satisfaction from your work. This is not to say that you are not doing this. We don't know if you have been practicing for a while or if you are brand new .

Also, just be realistic. If there is something you don't know, say so.

It may be only a local thing around here, but return calls. If there are other local LA vets, try to set up some method of having someone on call or at least available on week-ends/holidays. Other then misdiagnosing stage of gestation, that is the one most common complaint I hear.

dun

These are all really great answers, I have to agree 100%. We are really fortunate to have a LA vet within 10 miles of us that I have been so very thankful of these very aspects. A prime example was this weekend We worked our calves and I had a 2 week old calf that we had noticed was 'exposing himself' constantly. When we threw him to cut him I realized his sheath was swollen and his 'thing' was swollen and could not be withdrawn. We took him in and the vet said it would take surgery to fix him and the likelyhood of full recovery was not good. He suggested we cut the losses on him and not spend the money on fixing him up. If he would have said 'Oh, yeah I can fix it and he'll likely be fine' then I probably would have done it and the vet bill would have been a lot more then just a visit, but he was truthful in his prognosis and saved us money in the longrun. This is what I think all people (not just vets) should strive to be like. Truthful, Honest, Just.

There is a shortage of large animal vets,we need more people to go into the field, come to west Arkansas to practice.Don't be afraid to offer advice,if the client is not interested in your opinion he will let you know and the next time you don't have to bother. ;-) :cboy: