Reaction score
Today so far not great. But there's always tomorrow :nod:

Oops:
Ua8UDNK.jpg

@#$%&!:
nluWfyN.jpg

ccr said:
dang Silver what happened here?

Well, the calf bloated on regrowth alfalfa after 2 days of 14F mornings. That was actually the second one. The plow was my dad not paying attention and dropping it off the side of the bridge.

OUCH.... I am so sorry for you. The plow can be picked up and moved, hopefully no damage; but the calf..... I feel so bad just because that is the profit for the year..... I am scared to death of grazing alfalfa. Last year we did after the 2nd growth was about 8-10 inches, and I put 5 of the very expensive molasses based "bloat guard" blocks in that field because I was so worried. It is a rented place and not right here close where we can see them several times a day. The field has very little alfalfa in it this year so not a problem.
As long as your dad didn't get hurt, and the tractor didn't get turned over the side, the plow is secondary. Still, not what you wanted to see or have to go "take care of".....
Did you lose the first calf that bloated also?

farmerjan said:
Did you lose the first calf that bloated also?

That does appear to be the case. Generally after a good killing frost we are out of the woods. But I wonder if all the frost on the plants while they were grazing it wasn't part of the equation, causing it to be even wetter and therefore foamier in the gut. It is what it is. Hopefully the weight the survivors are gaining currently will more than offset the losses ;-)