Best $$ we ever spent!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I don't have pics of it yet, and would have to get up on a barn roof to take pictures that really show anything, but we are SOOOO STINK'N HAPPY to finally have the cattle handling facility up and working! Final gate latches and misc. hardware were installed about 6 weeks ago. It was a 2-year project of time and material, but we've used that about 10 times just in the last two weeks. The squeeze is an older Pearson w/ preg cage. We bought P.R. sweep, alleys, and cut-out gates new. Holding pens were made out of the used heavy steel material we got from a defunct feedlot. Just about everything opens to everything else. Our holding pens are only about 16X16, but there are 3 of them, and we can open gates between them to make them bigger, or just move critters through. It would have been nice to have the chute under cover, but sometimes you can't have everything. Most of the gate latches are those that you can open quick/easy from either side and slam. The only gates that don't have those are a couple of the perimeter pen gates, which feed in from 3 pastures. We can load out either straight from the chute, or an alley along the perimeter; and work safely from either side of the alleys and chute. :banana:

Sis and her hubby gave us an older PR calf table needing some fix up; that will be a winter project and I don't know that we'd use it much, but it's here.

And, if/when we finally get to the age that we don't want to mess w/ cattle, that set up would be a good point in leasing the pastures to someone else w/ cattle.

They are nice. I would not want my cattle if I could not safely handle them. I used my first cost share money here in KY to put in a new facility when I started putting cows on the farm 3 years ago. The state reimburses you 50% of the costs up to $5,000. I agree, it was the best money I have spent. And that type of infrastructure helps put value on the property in my opinion. Enjoy!!!

sounds like yall have your pens setup the way you like them.an that they make things flow nicely when your working cattle.

Looking forward to the pics. Sounds like a very nice project to be done with.

Hey Kathie, seemed like a little of the cut hay was getting rained on last weekend. I hope not all of the first cutting was compromised.

Scott,
the wet-side

P.S. it's hard to beat a safe cattle handling facility. :tiphat:

Named'em Tamed'em":3vlmnmrv said:
Hey Kathie, seemed like a little of the cut hay was getting rained on last weekend. I hope not all of the first cutting was compromised.

Scott,
the wet-side

P.S. it's hard to beat a safe cattle handling facility. :tiphat:

Scott, I haven't seen any hay that's been cut yet -- maybe the folks at my end of the valley are smarter. Everyone wants to cut, but the rain just keeps coming down. Pouring out there right now.

Latest posts