Best way to give Corid liquid to a calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

JosieBlue

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought several bottle calves with toxidia about a month ago and the vet prescribed An ounce of Corid liquid per bottle for 10 days. All of those calves have since been fecal tested clean. Now I have a cow and calf and the calf has bloody stools. I am wondering what is the best way to give meds to a calf not on a bottle? I'm going to treat her with Corid syrup . I have her separated from the other calves, however do you think I should start them back on Corid as a preventative? The older calves are about 6 weeks old. And the one with her ma is about 4 weeks. This is my first "non bottle" calf so I just want to get an experts opinion! Thank you!

cowgirl8":1s59c0mm said:
Tube it in...

Agreed, tubing would be most effective & you can monitor the amount. That said, we had an outbreak a few years ago with weanlings & used the pellets mixed with feed. We have a lot of 4 week old calves already munching on cubes so if tubing is difficult/not an option you could mix the pellets with creep.

Tubing would be the best route. But....If I'm not mistaken, you are fairly new with all of this?? If so, you may not know how to tube. If that is the case, seeing how it is only an ounce, you can give it a go using a turkey baster. It has worked well for me in the past, as well as other people. Think of it as a giant eye-dropper.

Once you get the dose in the baster/dropper, shove the baster into the calf's mouth and strt towards the throat/back of the mouth so it has no choice but to swallow. Give the bulb a squeeze and squirt the stuff in.

If you are concerned that it is too liquidy, mix the Corid with a little bit of vanilla yogurt.

The calf may resist this. If so, back it into a corner or a shed or fenced area so that its butt is up against a solid object, preferably a corner so there is no escape. Straddle the little sucker between your knees in front of its shoulders and grab ahold of its chin, and take it from there.

If they are drinking water from a water tank ( metal or poly not a big pond) you can treat the water with the corid. It must be their only source of water to be sure they drink it.

Large syringe is how I do it - no needle connected obviously, just hold the head up and slip it in the side of the mouth, close the plunger and watch them swallow before letting their head down.

^^^^^^^^^ this is also how I do it
the calf may not be drinking enough water at this age for the water method t work
Sozanne

regolith":39rhdf8c said:
Large syringe is how I do it - no needle connected obviously, just hold the head up and slip it in the side of the mouth, close the plunger and watch them swallow before letting their head down.

Exactly

Yes, she does not drink enough water for me to feel like she's getting the meds. I tried the turkey baster with some success today....some! Will try the syringe method next. Thanks!

Latest posts