Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horse Sale

• Friend

• Total voters

kaneranch

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just wanted to know what the best way to find a horse. My experience tells me that the quickest way and the best way aren't always the same. Can't wait to here your responces! Thanks KaneRanch

I prefer the horse sale approach. You have (usually) a big selection. Price is determined by competitive bid and if you took the time to go through the horses BEFORE the sale you already have the 5 or 6 that meet your critieria written down in advance. I hate classified ads because most of the time you play phone tag with the guy, then drive all over the world, only to see his "too good too be true" price is probably more than the nag is worth. Some people prefer to do business with friends. I don't. If an animal does not work out, I don't want to have to justify it to somebody who was emotionally attached to it. And I don't want to lose a friend over telling them that their horse evaluating skills are nonexistent or that their price is ridiculous.

Beefy":dwhoy1qn said:
The BEST way to find a horse is to make a noise like a carrot.

A shed chestnut in your pocket works even better than a carrot if you are down-wind! ;-)

Old Dog/New Tricks":2ynfocdf said:
:roll: To find mine I just whistle :!: :roll: :cboy: and they find me

you mean that actually works for some ppl. you whistle at mine and she runs as fast as she can the other direction. :roll: ungrateful witch. :p

It's true I am new to horses, but I have heard too many horror stories about horses being drugged before they are run thru the sale barn. To make them more gentle.

Id vote for friend except for 1 thing...I learned a long time ago that theres no such thing as a friend when it comes to tradin horses. LOL Find a good ranch program that sells bombproof using horses..the cowboys that handle the remudas at those deals are usually square shooters...when theyre really crazy about a horse they cant hide it...you can tell from the way they look at em

tapeworm":g62cf8n0 said:
bombproof using horses

No such thing as a bomb proof horse!

Buying a horse is always a roll of the dice, but I agree with most of what tapeworm said, find someone who knows horses and you can trust, which means they aren't trying to sell you one of their horses or a freind of theirs horse.

Remember that the people selling the horse, always have a reason they are selling.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":3ngji0i9 said:
tapeworm":3ngji0i9 said:
bombproof using horses

Buying a horse is always a roll of the dice, but I agree with most of what tapeworm said, find someone who knows horses and you can trust, which means they aren't trying to sell you one of their horses or a freind of theirs horse.

Remember that the people selling the horse, always have a reason they are selling.

JMO,
Alan

I'm not real sure what part of the country your from but I've seen PLENTY of bomb proof horses. Grew up on one as a matter of fact.

J":7vfwh5i9 said:
Alan":7vfwh5i9 said:
tapeworm":7vfwh5i9 said:
bombproof using horses

JMO,
Alan

I'm not real sure what part of the country your from but I've seen PLENTY of bomb proof horses. Grew up on one as a matter of fact.

Doesn't matter what part of the county I'm from...ANY HORSE ANY DAY! No such thing as bomb proof. Not saying some horses are not safer than others, just saying any horse has the potentail to spook or do something dumb.

Alan

Alan":3hu1zxh7 said:
J":3hu1zxh7 said:
Alan":3hu1zxh7 said:
tapeworm":3hu1zxh7 said:
bombproof using horses

JMO,
Alan

Doesn't matter what part of the county I'm from...ANY HORSE ANY DAY! No such thing as bomb proof. Not saying some horses are not safer than others, just saying any horse has the potentail to spook or do something dumb.

Alan
Bomb proof is just a figure of speech. I agree with you that you can't trust a horse, or any animal for that matter, 100% but there is a difference between a "bomb proof" and "green broke" horse. I think tapeworm was just trying to give some good advice

J":3goe1hte said:
Alan":3goe1hte said:
J":3goe1hte said:
Alan":3goe1hte said:
tapeworm":3goe1hte said:
bombproof using horses

JMO,
Alan

Alan
Bomb proof is just a figure of speech. I agree with you that you can't trust a horse, or any animal for that matter, 100% but there is a difference between a "bomb proof" and "green broke" horse. I think tapeworm was just trying to give some good advice

Fair enough, "bomb proof" is one of the many misleading terms out there.

Alan

Alan":2bscgq7k said:
J":2bscgq7k said:
J":2bscgq7k said:
tapeworm":2bscgq7k said:
bombproof using horses

JMO,
Alan

Alan

Fair enough, "bomb proof" is one of the many misleading terms out there.

Alan
I hate to keep arguing about this but it's not really misleading, at least not to me. If you have ever been around a horse that was considered "bomb proof" I think it would be easier to understand. (not to say you haven't) That is just a term used by horse traders to describe a well broke, calm, do anything you want it to type horse. Sure at any giving instant something could happen to spook it and its probably happened before but if its considered bomb proof then that "something" doesn't happen 98% of the time. Just my opinion though.

J,

I know we are way off the subject of the post, and you and I are just throwing out opinions... so here's mine in more detail :D .

If some horse is bomb proof or a watch is water proof or whatever, than it is 100% not going to do whatever it designed not to do. ie., a bomb proof horse will not spook or blow up at all... it's bomb proof... no such animal. You have a horse for beginners or anyone can ride, or needs experienced rider, or the horse is green, (I would hope that we don't get into the discussion if being a green horse is misleading someone on the horses color :lol: ).

Another problem term: you don't break a horse, you start it or train it. Why would you want to break something?

But what's important is that this is just my opinion, not neccessarily right.

Alan

Alan":oi4tggd7 said:
J,

I know we are way off the subject of the post, and you and I are just throwing out opinions... so here's mine in more detail :D .

If some horse is bomb proof or a watch is water proof or whatever, than it is 100% not going to do whatever it designed not to do. ie., a bomb proof horse will not spook or blow up at all... it's bomb proof... no such animal. You have a horse for beginners or anyone can ride, or needs experienced rider, or the horse is green, (I would hope that we don't get into the discussion if being a green horse is misleading someone on the horses color :lol: ).

Another problem term: you don't break a horse, you start it or train it. Why would you want to break something?

But what's important is that this is just my opinion, not neccessarily right.

Alan
Fair enough lets just agree to disagree. :D

This is not a knock on tapeworm, tapeworm knows his/her stuff. I think nuff said on this part of the topic.

Alan

Latest posts